Dollar and Sense

Search

Dollar and Sense

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dollar and Sense

Yeah, it did sound naive to ask if dollar bills might be used. Someone said would you use kroners at a shop in Little Rock? Well, I was thinking of Tivoli where there might be lots of tourists, actually, or maybe taxis. In previous trips, in Italy and Egypt I think it was, some Americans did find dollar bills useful to have.

Anyway, I have indeed done reading on the four countries to be visited. Also read Derry's History of Scandinavia. Hey, thanks Jenny for your reply which I will respond to. Glad for your report on Grand Circle!
Ozarksbill
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:17 AM

I'm not sure if you meant this to be a new thread or not. I gather you asked whether you can use USD in foreign countries. In third world countries with a local currency worth very little, like Egypt, lots of folks do like a hard currency like USD. That's very different than Europe. They will accept them sometimes in Budapest, also, but the Hungarian florin is also worth nothing outside Hungary, and that's why they willingly accept euro, USD, etc.

I live in a US city with tons of tourists, American and foreign, and no one here would ever accept foreign currency in payment.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:06 PM

At some places (like Tivoli) you can pay with Euros in Denmark (and I suppose elsewhere in Scandinavia). We witnessed a funny exchange at our hotel where a Frenchman paid in Euros and was very annoyed that he got Danish kroner back in change.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:18 PM

A few years ago, in the McDonalds on the Champs Elysees (I was just in there to use the bathroom), I watched a man pull out a wad of US bills to pay for his order. As I was thinking "what an idiot," to my surprise, the cashier took the US money without saying a word. All was not perfect, however, because they got into an argument over the exchange rate. Apparently, McDonalds exchange rate is even worse than Thomas Cook.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:06 PM
jor

I do remember crossing from Isreal to the Sanai and being required to have US dollars back in '82. USD's are the most accepted currancy.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:17 PM
ira

Sometimes people will take foreign currency, but the exchange rate is rather in their favor.

Some time ago in Canada, a restaurant owner was willing to cash an AMEX TC for me........at one to one.