Eurail pass - 10 day or global

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eurail pass - 10 day or global

I am heading to Europe for a month starting June 22, and am planning this very very tentative schedule:

2 days amsterdam (been there before)
1 day bruge
2 days brussels
3 prague
2 vienna
3 milan
3 french beaches
3 barcelona
2 pamplona
3 madrid
fly out
+++ There would be two extra days for day trips or wherever i feel like staying longer.

Anyway, that adds up to 9 travel days.. Is it better to just get a global pass though? It'll cost me probably 100 bucks more. Will I be using the pass for travel within a city? Will it be worth the money for piece of mind not worrying about using my days?

Thanks, I'm usually not the indecisive sort! Also, any advice in general? I will be solo, until a friend meets me in spain.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM

What do you mean by 'global' - how many days - consectuive I gather rather than the 10 day flexi out of a two-month period. It would also then be able to cover day trips from say Madrid to Toledo, Avila, etc if those are in the cards. But if no other trips planned then go for the cheaper one. One thing is for sure some kind of railpass is a good thing for such a wide-ranging trip involving multiple international rail journeys - either that or go to several web sites of national railways and try to get discounted online tickets albeit ones usually with restrictions on changing or refunding and which often much be booked weeks in advance. and the Eurailpass, of over 25 is first class and if my decades of incessant European rail travel tell me anything it is that for the average tourist on the trip of a lifetime and especially with luggage first class is a no brainer - in many ways a much much more relaxed trip (and this is not to say 2nd class is always a cattle car either! - anyway check out these IMO fantastic web sites for more than you ever want to know about European train travel, passes, etc - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com.

Are you familiar with the 7pm rule on overnight trains with flexipasses - could factor into your calculations!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate tht info, I am looking into those sites right now. And I am familiar eith the 7 pm rule, which is the only thing that could make the 10 day possible, cause I clearly am gonna have 2 or 3 overnight trains there.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and by global I mean the 21 day pass, which is 60 bucks more than the 10 days in two months. But, I'm working in maybe another 50 bucks as I may have to foot one short ticket when the pass runs out. Interesting on first versus second class.. anyone else have insights into this? I am 25 and was just going to go youth (second class).
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 05:01 PM

If you are 25 I'd go with the Youthpass because it is so much cheaper and you are young - by the average tourist on Fodor's I'm usually talking about old farts like moi and for older folks first class is the way to go - but when I was your age I loved the Youthpasses in 2nd class - and you will meet other youths on Youthpasses (or the European equivalent Inter-Rail Passes) also traveling on trains - so for anyone your age I highly recommend the Youthpass but for older travelers first class.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM

another thing about the Global Pass is that you could end up traveling more than you think - I know I did at that age - with overnight trains you can really get around and save on a night's lodging to boot.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM

It seems there is some kind of special right now about getting two extra days 'free' on youthpasses so check that out as could change calculations.