Search

Spain Itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM
ejs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Itinerary help

My husband & I are planning a trip to Spain in July. We plan to stay in Madrid for 4 nights, with a day trip to Toledo. We then want to take a train to Seville and rent a car. We plan to stay for 2 nites and drive to Cordoba for 1 a day. We then hope to drive to
Granada for 1 night, and return the car, and fly the next day to Barcelona for 3 nights.

Is this doable. How is driving Seville to Cordoba to Granada? Is it highways? I would appreciate any comments.
Thank you
ejs
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 03:43 PM

You can definitely do that drive... The roads are fine.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM

It's doable but I think you are shortchanging everywhere. That's a very fast paced trip, to a place that will be very hot when you are going. I would suggest dropping one area, and since it's July that area would be Andalusia. A few years ago I considered a July trip to Andalusia and so many people warned against it that I did Madrid (Toledo, Segovia, etc) instead, saved Andalusia for a spring trip instead and glad I did. Also you are considering staying only four days which is about half what I would consider the minimum. You can do it, but you won't see much.

Toledo also - yes, lots of people do it as a day trip from Madrid, but it's a beautiful place and one or two overnights is well worth it (I had three and was not at all bored).

I would eliminate Analusia and add a night or two to Toledo, maybe also go to Segovia while in the area, and then add the extra couple nights to Barcelona, three days there is really nothing. To be honest with only 11 nights I'd pick one of those areas and explore it (they all have other towns you haven't mentioned that could be day trips or overnights) but since you started with three I figured you'd want to do at least two. But three distinct regions of Spain in less than two weeks, in the heat of July just doesn't seem like a very good trip.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM

A couple of points -

With the exception of Madrid you are short-changing major cities
Have you accounted for the weather - it will be very hot/humid to hellishly hot (Seville is often well over one hundred degrees in the summer)
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM
ejs
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I am rethinking it.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM

If you decide to stick with your original, plan, do not rent a car until you ready to leave Sevilla.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM

I was in Seville in mid-June once and it was indeed extremely hot, so July will be even more so. It can be enjoyable if you do as the locals do, that is stick to your activities in the mornings and evenings. You won't see many people out and about after lunch when the day is at its hottest. My friends and I spent the afternoons sitting in shaded areas and sipping cool drinks, which is very enjoyable in and of itself. If that's your idea of a nice holiday activity as well, you'll enjoy yourself. If, on the other hand, you were hoping to do a lot of site seeing and to be moving around a lot during the day, I would visit at a different time of the year. Seville is a wonderful Spanish destination and well worth exploring.