Espoo-Helsinki early Nov

Search

Espoo-Helsinki early Nov

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Espoo-Helsinki early Nov

I'll be staying in Espoo for a meeting the first of November and expect to have 1 day of free time. I assume the best way for me to get from the airport to the hotel (SAS Radisson) will be a taxi. Then for my free day, how do you recommend I get to the city center to sightsee? I've tried putting in info on the public transport site and it says I would walk, then take one or two buses or one bus and the Metro (trip time approximately 30 minutes). Other option I'd assume is a taxi. Is the public transit going to be a hassle and cold so I should spring for the cost of a taxi? I'm not sure what that cost would be, but would find out at the hotel.

As this meeting just came up, I am busily reading old posts, checking my Scandanavian guidebooks, and looking at the websites recommended. I expect with just one Sunday I will try to see some of the city center and check what museums are open, maybe the bus tour if it is running. I love to walk and get the feel of the neighborhoods, people, and architecture, but I know it will be short daylight and cold for me. I hope to get a weekday morning off sometime during the visit to get down to the market and shops closed on Sunday.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 02:05 AM

I assume that you are staying in the SAS Radisson located in Otaniemi area in Espoo. I work in Otaniemi and live very near, so I have first hand knowledge on this issue. You can get to the city (Helsinki) center with one bus without any changes. Depending on the line number, the trip will take from 15-20 minutes. The bus lines to use are 102, 102T and 103. The T means that the bus takes a bit longer route through Lauttasaari. The bus stop is located about 500 meters from the hotel. Due to the big construction site in Helsinki, the terminal point for the bus is not in the very center, but about 500 meters from there. The buses run until 1AM at least and the fare is 3 euros, so I definately recommend taking the bus.

I think you have used the following link already:
http://193.64.172.196/ytv/eng/
If you insert Otaranta 6 to the FROM field and Kamppi to the TO field, you will get right options (buses 102 and 103) and can also see the route on a map.

If you are going for a walk in the city, I suggest going to the quarters called Ullanlinna and Eira. You will see for instance some beautiful jugend styled old buildings. Also Kruununhaka, near the Senate square is a good choice.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:00 AM

The 3T trolley is a great way of going around Helsinki. Also if you want to take a bus tour you can pick up the bus at the the harbor, I think it is called the Olympic Harbor. Bus tour is excellent and takes about 3-4 hours. Try to get to the public sauna in Helsinki if you can, this will be a great way to see how native Finns manage through the cold winter
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help, Katja. I am always amazed that I can post a question on this board and receive the help of strangers from around the world.

I guess I had pointed to the wrong point on the map when I got the 2-bus route. The transit site is relatively easy to use once one is familiar with the city's layout and names.

I've located Ullanlinna, Eira, and Kruununhaka on the map.

Depending on weather, I will try to get an early start from my hotel on the bus to the city center, then walk to see the sights.

If weather is bad, I'll head for the 10:30 2-hr bus tour with live guide, then visit the National Museum, perhaps an art museum. The guides indicate a 14:00 English service at the Temppeliaukio--my Lutheran husband would be proud if I took time to attend a church service.

I've learned how to say "thank you" in Finnish, now to learn "hello", "good-bye" and "please."
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:42 AM

Kay, if it does rain, one choice is the Ateneum Art Museum:
http://www.ateneum.fi/acms/core/default.asp?docId=11876
They have now a special exhibition of a Finnish sculptor (in addition to normal national art collection). I just went to see it and totally loved it. The exhibition consists of charming miniature sculptures by a very creative (and delightful) artist.

Welcome!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:18 AM

If it is just one day and one museum I would go to the National Museum. My Austrian relative managed to spend a whole afternoon there.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help.

I took the bus into the city 3 times during my trip. I had the hotel staff write down that I wanted a 24-hour pass for 8 euros and was glad because the bus driver had trouble hitting the right buttons to give me such a pass and I wouldn't have liked to try to explain as he didn't seem to speak English. Other times I just made sure I had the correct change. It is nice that the drivers can make change as so many cannot on mass transit systems. The bus was 3 euros and a taxi 17.

I did ride the 3T tram once for a rest (it rained the entire day I had for sightseeing), stopping at the rock church and the market open on Sunday afternoon. I walked all around the shopping streets, Senate Square, up past Finlandia Hall, etc. I did make it into Stockmanns as it was open on Sunday to start the holiday shopping season.

One evening I got into town and saw the cathedral, etc. lit up.

Next visit I'll go to some of the museums. This time I just decided to get wet and see as much as I could.