Search

England Parks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
England Parks

Hi Yall.<BR><BR>I'm interested in going hiking in a park that's no more than 3 hours from London. Any suggestions? Looking for a park off the beaten path with mountaains, hills and waterfalls. Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Best suggestions for what you're looking for would be either Snowdonia or the Lake District, but it would take a lot longer than 3 hours to get there, especially if you want to get &quot;off the beaten path&quot;. About the closest I can think of would be Dartmoor, but even that's going to take you more than 3 hours.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Ypu might try the Chiltern Hills..not so much Mountains but maybe averaging 900 feet or so..can't say about waterfalls
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:42 PM

I agree w/ Xenos - Dartmoor, Snowdonia, the Lake District plus the Peak District are the only &quot;Mountain&quot; areas south of Scotland. And of course, Dartmoor is not mountainous - but there are a lot of great hikes in the area.<BR><BR>But none would be remotely within 3 hours of London - especially when you add in the time it would take to get &quot;off the beaten path&quot; and into the remote areas.<BR><BR>With the 3 hour limit, it sounds like you want to do a day trip. There are no mountains near London . . . . .
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:53 PM

<BR>I think you are looking for a national park or an area preserved for its natural beauty. In British English a park is an area of a square mile or so reserved for recreation. I think we have no mountains within three hours of London, but we do have some fine bare hills up in the Peak District, just south of Sheffield. Hills yes, waterfalls I am not sure. Just an hour further away by train, at Oxenholme, you are on the edge of the Lake District, with mountains.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:58 PM

No waterfalls, but Queen Elizabeth country park in Hampshire has nature trails and Butser Hill is one of the highest points in Southern England<BR><BR>http://www.hants.gov.uk/countryside/qecp/<BR><BR>
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 02:31 PM

It may take you a bit longer than 3 hours to get there, but I think you will enjoy the Brecon Beacon waterfall walk.<BR><BR>I did it when I was around 13 and thought it was wonderful, particularly as you get to walk behind one of the falls.<BR><BR>I did a quick search and found this site which gives additional details:<BR><BR>http://www.walkscene.co.uk/Wales/Brecon%20Beacons/Waterfall1.htm<BR><BR>
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 03:27 PM

My husband seems to think the Peak District comes closest to what you're looking for. He suggests getting an ordinance survey map of Derbyshire's Peak District National park. It should be 2 1/2 hrs drive up the M1. <BR><BR>Drive north on the M1 until you see signs for Chesterfield (the only town to have a twisted spire). Go through Chesterfield to Dronfield &amp; then follow signs to Hathersage. The road takes you over moorland and at one point gives you an outstanding view all the way down the valley to Mam Tor. Kinder Scout is up on the right. Go through Hathersage, take the road along the valley. Stop &amp; park at the beginning of the Pennine Way. He says the walk up is spectacular.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 05:43 PM

It is not in England, but The Black Mountains(parts of the Brecon Beacons) offer many excellent remote hikings. You should be able to reach Abergavenny within 3 hours.