Help us plan a trip to England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now that we've established the British Intel sevices make it much safer for tourists to visit and spend time in London, I've got a question. I'm making plans for 8 days, beginning with 3 in London July 2006. We enjoy a mug now and then at at a great pub and to rent a car and tour England. We like to mingle with local people. Am looking for a good pub in downtown London to hang out in and discuss things with the locals, then rent a car and explore the rural areas. My wife loves horses and I love nature (do birding and hiking in natural areas). Any thoughts on great London pubs, bookstores, scenic roads outside London (We gravitate toward gravel and dirt backroads), nice B&B's, and natural areas and parks to visit would be greatly appreciated. Robert

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:17 PM
MaureenB

If you wife loves horses, she might enjoy touring the Royal Mews, behind Buckingham Palace. Also, she could maybe catch the changing of the horseguards at Whitehall.

If you click on my name above, you will find my trip report of London-Paris-Amsterdam, including the names of pubs and restaurants we especially liked. Our B&B, the Hyde Park Radnor, was in a great residential neighborhood, just on the north side of Hyde Park. Try londontown.com for reservations.

Enjoy London!

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

MaureenB; Thanks so much! A great itinerary; I printed it out. My wife loves horses and we'll definately include your visits on our itinerary. Thanks again!! Robert
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:50 AM
MaureenB

Have a fun time! We loved London on our first visit there.

The Hyde Park area where we stayed had several little B&Bs sharing the building with ours. You might like this neighborhood because you can stroll around and talk with real residents and also walk across Hyde Park to Kensington. Really charming. Not too close to Paddington to be in its more tackiness, but close enough to catch the tube easily. If the Hyde Park Radnor is full, you could ask them for a recommendation.

(Someday, take your wife to Vienna to see the Lippizzanners!)

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM

www.fancyapint.com will help you locate pubs with various comments from users.

As for hiring a car, gravel and dirt backroads are few and far between unless you go a long way away from London, and may well not be covered by most car rental agreements. If you prefer wilder country than postcard-pretty villages, the nearest areas are probably west (Dartmoor and Exmoor), or maybe the Peak District or north Wales: check out www.visitbritain.com to see if they or anywhere else appeals. Since time is limited, it might be worth leaving London by train for somewhere near where you'd like to tour (where the traffic is also likely to be much less hectic): if you do that, the North York Moors and Yorkshire Dales would be easily accessible (the Lake District might be an idea, but it can get crowded with car tourists), maybe even Northumberland. If you decide to tour nearer London, you could hire a car from, and return it to, your departure airport.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 09:12 AM
JN

Once you know the area in which you will be staying, check into www.fancyapint.com for a listing of pubs by location, as well as by the rating for food, ambiance, brew etc. They note the pubs that are primarily touristy vs. local.

If you are near Westminster, St James Park or Victoria Station tube stops, several pubs where we found the beer to be good and the conversation available were:

1. The Cask & Glass, 39-41 Palace Street, SW1E 5HN. This tiny pub has a friendly, small-village feel. It has Shepherd Naeme on tap, along with guest beers, sandwiches and a few outdoor tables

2. Coach and Horses, 35 Willow Place
SW1P 1JH--friendly manager, outdoor beer garden and the best steak and ale pie we had in London. I think Fullers was on tap, along with Carling, Kronenburg 1664 and others.

3. The Two Chairmen, 39 Dartmouth Street, SW1H 9BP. Cool interior, very good food and beer, barman was friendly. It gets packed after work with a younger office crowd it seemed to me. Not open weekends. If I recall correctly, they had Directors and Bombadier on tap, along with others.

4. Westminster Arms, near Westminster Abbey at 9 Storey's Gate, SW1P 3AT. Awesome angled bar, with many good beers on tap, including Adnams Broadside. Outdoor tables are in the afternoon shade--a nice respite on a hot day. Downstairs restaurant and affiliated wine bar next door.

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

JN, Patrick and MaureenB; I have printed out your messages, and will ensconse them into our itinerary. Thanks for your experience and input! Robert
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 03:58 PM
MaureenB

Robert, I almost forgot-- what about hiring horses to ride in Hyde Park?? That would be pretty cool. I own a horse myself, so never feel like leasing one for the day. So I didn't do that, but I saw a lot of people on horseback in the park and it looked like fun.

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Mauren; I'll pass it by my wife. She has two quarter horses, and likes to ride and "do her own thing" on them, a phrase which only those bonded with horses know what I mean. She would probably feel a trifle restricted on the ride. Still, if they are a different breed and feel different than a quarter horse, she'd probably love it. Thanks! Robert