Wales or Lake District

Apr 3rd, 2013, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Wales or Lake District

Hi, looking for your suggestion. During my trip this April end I will be visit Scotland (4 days) and Southern Ireland (7 days). While I am in London I wanted to do a overnight journey either to Lake District or Wales and am totally confused on where to go. Also in Wales I was thinking about either spending the 2days either in Cardiff or in Snowdonia.
Apr 4th, 2013, 12:13 AM

Cardiff, Snowdonia or the Lakes? There's a lot of difference between the 3 places and it's hard to recommend unless we know what you're looking for. Do you prefer cities or countryside, walking or boating?
Apr 4th, 2013, 02:58 AM

North Wales (where Snowdonia is) and the Lake District are both a very long way for an overnight trip.

I also agree that there's a big difference between Cardiff (fairly average city IMHO) and Snowdonia/Lake District which are both mountainous regions for hiking.
Apr 4th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

I am more of a nature lover. But then I am already going to Ireland and Scotland hence was wondering if Lake District will be something similar.
Apr 4th, 2013, 04:49 AM

Cardiff is less than 2 hrs from London by train.
You could easily do that.
Also if you are in Southern Ireland, could you not enter Wales from the West and take in West Wales (Pembrokeshire National Park is beautiful) and then on to Cardiff?
Which is a dynamic, interesting and a well above average city (IMHO) ;-)
Apr 4th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Actually I am flying to Ireland (Dublin) from London and then back. And unfortunately I have already booked the cheap air tickets. So either of the places that I choose to do I will be leaving from London. Will it be a too much of a stretch to go to Pembrokeshire from London. After reaching there I could stay there for the night and then next day go to Cardiff and then back to London in the evening
Apr 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM

Apologies if I haven't followed you properly but how are you getting to Scotland. If you are doing the Highlands, the Lakes can be visited on passing and an overnight stay.
Much as I love Wales/Lakes, you may have had enough scenery in Scotland/Ireland (depending on where you are going) so you could use your days by visiting other pretty parts that don't involve too big a trek. What's with Cardiff - Ive never visited the place and don't know many people who have a particular desire to visit it?
Apr 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Oh Stevelyon, can you please suggest some places. Actual before reading your mail I was kind of zeroing on Swansea and Cardiff. Spend a day in Swansea stay there then next day explore Cardiff and then back. I know I would have had enough of scenery and lakes in my trip to Scotland and Ireland thats the reason I am so confused.
Apr 5th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Prepar, I would personally drop Swansea and Cardiff in favour of somewhere English – I think your time is too limited and there's better places to see that are easier to get to, such as Bath/Oxford/Cambridge/The Cotswolds. (I can say this, as my partner is from Swansea and agrees with me, there just isn't much of interest to see there).

Pembrokeshire is magnificent, but a real trek from London (six hours by car and at least 5 by train – and you really need a car when you get there). It really isn't worth it unless you have at least 3 nights and a car at your disposal, IMHO. And it sounds like you would have had your fill on scenery in any case.
Apr 5th, 2013, 07:30 AM

The Lakes and Snowdonia are quite far from London so you will likely spend most of the time getting there and back with just an overnight sleep. I would definitely focus on something closer to London so you can spend the time actually seeing the place rather than just getting to and from it!
Apr 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM

I lived in the Lake District for 7 months and it is still one of my favorite places in the world. If you go you must go for at least 3-5 days to enjoy the beauty, fell walking, pubs and overall ambiance of the area. Do not go just passing by. I've also been to Wales and while it has its beauty, etc I still would vote for Lake District. I loved the walks across the vales to other villages and of course the climb up some of the higher fells. Go, go, go!
Apr 7th, 2013, 11:22 AM

"What's with Cardiff - Ive never visited the place and don't know many people who have a particular desire to visit it?"

"I would personally drop Swansea and Cardiff in favour of somewhere English"

OMG I thought this was a travel forum, sadly these days it is full of philistines.

Apr 7th, 2013, 11:55 AM

certainly south Wales is a lot closer to London than the Lake district is.

with the speed of the train to get there, it's probably quicker than going to Oxford.

Mucky - why don't you tell the OP why she MUST go there?
Apr 7th, 2013, 01:23 PM

"Mucky - why don't you tell the OP why she MUST go there?"

Sorry Annhig, but I don't see the OP as the Philistine, she has an open mind of where to go and is capable of making her own mind up. Her trip will come together and she will visit the places she can fit in, for her own reasons, and good luck to her !

One or two others, I am not so sure.
Apr 7th, 2013, 01:58 PM

but I don't see the OP as the Philistine, she has an open mind of where to go and is capable of making her own mind up. Her trip will come together and she will visit the places she can fit in, for her own reasons, and good luck to her !>>

mucky - I never thought that you did [think that the OP is a philistine, that is]. i was just suggesting that you give the OP a few more ideas about why it would be a good idea to go to south Wales - apart from it's being the centre of the universe so far as Dr. Who is concerned, that is.
Apr 7th, 2013, 09:21 PM

Dr Who?