Search

Lake District

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake District

I need some advice on whether or not I should take a day trip to the Lake District while I'm in London for 5 days.

I'd really like to go, as I'm a big fan of the Romantics, but I'm just not sure it would be practical (ugh, what would the Romantics think of such a statement!?). But in all seriousness, I really don't want to spread myself too thin, and I'm sure a trip to the Lake District would take up an entire day. Not to mention it would be pretty costly to take the train (I'm guessing). I really don't want to do a tour either, so I would have to figure out how to get around. I've also heard that the Lake District has become quite touristy, which may have ruined some of its charm.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome and much appreciated!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM

Is this your first trip to London? The city itself can EASILY fill five days. I love the Lakes, but would never take time away from London on such a short trip to go. And I would definitely not do the Lakes on a day trip. A cursory look at the rail schedules show at least a 3-3.5-hour train ride, and that's just to get to Windermere. Wordsworth's houses, for example, are in Grasmere, which is still another bus ride from Windermere.

In short, if you want to see London and the Lakes, you need more time (especially if you're coming from the US and are recovering from jet lag). The Lake District is a place where you take walks and look at scenery and relax, at least in my opinion. If all you can give it is a day or a day and a half, just stay in London. If you really want to do something outside the city, you might look into a more do-able day trip, such as Stonehenge, Oxford, Cambridge, one of the palaces...
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, T,

But in all seriousness, I really don't want to spread myself too thin, and I'm sure a trip to the Lake District would take up an entire day.>>

yes, and the rest. once you'd got there it'd be time to come back. and oncvee you'd got there, you'd have to get roune - there are buses but they don't necessarily go where you want to go but they are the only way to get away from the tourist hordes that do indeed clog up the most popular areas - to teh extent that on crtain Bank holidays, they have ben known to "shut" Keswick. [though quite how they do this I've no idea]

as you only have 5 days, to use one like this would be madness even if it's feasible, which it isn't. the furthest you can realistically go in a day, and actually see something, is York.

another time, fly into Manchester and give yourself at least 3 days in the lake district - that's the minimum you need to make such a trip worthwhile, IMO.

enjoy yourself in London.

regards, ann
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM

Hi there,
Last summer my son & I went from London by train to Penrith in the Lakes dist, left in the a.m., arrived Penrith mid-day, rented a car, saw sights with a local (so no lost time), stayed overnight, saw more sights and left Penrith in the afternoon. Whew! It was great, but definitely intense and certainly wouldn't be any fun in a shorter time frame. We're going back for a few days in August. It's so beautiful, it's well worth taking the time for a good visit rather than a touching-base sort of look.
I totally agree, London is so rich, it's a great place to be for 5 days.
Have fun!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, this will be my first time in London (SO excited!). It sounds like I ought to hold off on going to the Lake District until I can devote more time to it. But hey, that just gives me an excuse to go back!
Thanks so much for your advice!