England Must Sees - Ideas needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We land on July 17, heading to Bath for two nights (well between Bath & Bradford on Avon), after that we're just going on spur of the moment. I do know we want to go to the Lake District, and maybe into Wales for a day?

Stonehenge is definitley on the agenda, but where else should we go? I have a tour book, but there's so much, that I'm confused! I'm interested in history, so castles, or other historical sites would be great. I do know we will be spending one day in Crewe, Cheshire to visit my husbands great-aunt, is there anything to see there?

London is the end of the trip where we'll do a bus tour to see everything, and do the Eye as well.

thanks in Advance!!
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:26 AM

How about Wells, England's smallest city not far from Bath and the cathedral and environs are amazing http://www.wellstourism.com/ for more info
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:55 AM

Consider booking accommodations in the Lake District. It's pretty popular in the summer.

The green Michelin guides rate sights - 1, 2, or 3 stars. And Rick Steves, in his guidebooks, lists what to see if you only have 3 days, 5 days, a week, etc. Maybe these sources will help you narrow down your choices.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:21 AM

Lacock is a pretty village to visit. We enjoyed seeing it on our way to Bath. Are you driving? Also, Windsor Castle would be on my list of places to see. We enjoyed our walk around Bradford on Avon and lunch there.

http://www.google.com/images?q=Lacoc...ed=0CDMQsAQwBA
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:39 AM

How much time do you have? Are you renting a car? Land in London, directly go to Bath, then loop back to London?
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

We have 2 weeks, so hoping we can get a bit in. We are renting a car from Heathrow the day we land.

Oh yes, Windsor Castle!! Must see that...I don't think the Queen is in England much this summer? I know she'll be in Nova Scotia soon to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Canadian Navy. Not that I'll see her...What is there to see in Wales in a day?
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:26 AM

Crewe was famous for making railway engines and Rolls Royce cars. There is not much to see there now though. A couple of hours to the east into the Peak District will take you to Chatsworth House, a beautiful House and gardens and surrounding countryside, not far from the M1 which will take you quickly back to London.
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:33 AM

Chester is not far from Crewe and I suppose that you could pop over to North Wales from there although a day is not very long
Have a look at
http://www.chester360.co.uk/north-wales.htm
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:36 AM

What I do is....map out the days. Put down on a piece of paper all of the days you have, then plot it out. Days 1/2 are Bath. Day X is Crewe, Days YYY are London, Day Y+1 need to be at Airport. Once you know what days you have, then you can plot out a plan. Heading east, have 3 days, what can we do. Assume, if driving that distances covered in a day will be much slower than normal.

Maybe 2 days in Wales after Bath, then Lake District for 3/4 days,etc...

London has lots to offer...how many days do you have there? People here have also done day trips out of London to Windsor, Hampton Ct, Stonehenge. That way you get a hotel in london for several more days, settle in. You probably don't want to drive in London.

When you read the guides, what jumps out at you? You can't see it all
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- a few random comments:

1) -- I would NOT drive to Bath directly after an overnight flight. Are flying in long haul? If so, go ahead an pick up a car at LHR but only go as far as Windsor.

LHR to Bath is almost exactly 100 miles and will take you probably a bit over 2 hours. Not something to do in a jet lagged fog to be sure.

LHR to Windsor is only about 7 miles and though driving on day 1 is a problem -- most folks can manage 7 or 8 miles.

See the castleon day 1 and then on day 2 drive to Avebury, Stonehenge and then on to Bath or Bradford-o-Avon for 2 nights

2) You simply <u>must</u> prebook accommodations in the Lake District - and the sooner the better.

3) North Wales is not a day trip (though a lot of coach tours cram it into one). You will want at least one night/two days and more would be better.
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:35 PM

You mentioned "popping into Wales". Tintern Abbey in the Wye River valley is a gorgeous spot, and near England.

We landed at Heathrow, had an hour and a half to recover with coffee, etc, then took the National Express bus to Bath. DH slept so was able to pick up our car across from the bus station and drive to our b&b in Bath.

However, janisj's advice works as well. You'll love the Lake District.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

My husband is flying in from Dubai, I'm not sure he'll be as tired as me!

Should we spend a night in Wales? Any recommendations on a place in the Lake District?