Visiting daughter at Oxford

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to London in March to visit our daughter at Oxford University. Any suggestions as to where we should go in the 9 days we will have to travel with her? She will already have gone to Scotland, so we're thinking of Yorkshire, the Cotswolds, and maybe the Lake district. We will need lodging to accommodate the three of us, so any tips would be appreciated!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM

I suspect much would depend on what your interests are, and where you've been before. We've tended to enjoy the old villages, farms, and big estates more than the scenic areas (probably because we come from a state with plenty of mountains but not so much history). A few thoughts that might be of help...

Oxford itself is worth a day or so. When we made a similar visit, we had a car and stayed a few miles away in the village of Woodstock, by Blenheim Palace (worth a visit).

London has much of interest, both in the city center and nearby places such as Windsor. In London, you would be less hampered by poor weather.

B&B's can be a good option for lodging if you don't mind something less formal and structured than a hotel. They don't tend to be as elaborate (and expensive) as B&Bs in the US. The exchange rate hurts these days, though, on pretty much any food and lodging.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well - the Cotswolds are essentially on the eastern edge of the Cotswolds, so no need to travel to them. You can easily do day trips from Oxford to any part of the Cotswolds, or to Stratford or to Warwick.

March could be a bit early for the Lakes. It is mostly an "outdoorsy" area and if the weather is nasty it limits what you can see/do.

You could spend maybe 4 days in Yorkshire. Visit York, Castle Howard, the Moors, Fountains Abbey, etc. Then if the weather is decent, visit the Dales and across to the Lakes. for a few days.

Or you could easily spend the entire 9 days in the SW. Bath, Wells, Glastonbury, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall - that would be a great area for a 9 day loop from Oxford.

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 01:46 AM

<i>&quot;the Cotswolds are essentially on the eastern edge of the Cotswolds&quot;</i>

???
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Janis means Oxford is essentially on the edge of the Cotswolds....
I'd definitely recommend Bath (Georgian architecture, Medieval Abbey church and Roman Baths Musuem). Salisbury ( magnificent cathedral) and Stonehenge not too far away. The Dorset coast is very beautiful and the New Forest (Hampshire) is quietly rural. There's lots to see &amp; do in Oxford itself of course. Stratford on Avon (Shakespeare's birthplace) and Warwick Castle also worth a visit.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oops - thanks bellini. Was posting late after getting home from giving one of my programs (happened to be about Oxford and the Cotswolds) and my brain was in a bit of a muddle.

yes, I meant Oxford is essentially on the eastern edge of the Cotswolds. Easy day trips from Oxford to any part of teh Cotswolds.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM

From Oxford, if you have a car, visit the Berkshire Downs, see the Uffington White Horse, walk a bit of the ancient Ridgeway. Visit the small villages in the area and enjoy their pubs. Go to Lambourn, early and see the race horses heading onto the Gallops on the Downs.
Explore the North Oxfordhire/Northamptonshire countryside. Lots of lovely villages, canals etc. There is an interesting canal museum at Stoke Bruerne.
You could head to the New Forest, and the Dorset coast, or even across to the Isle of Wight.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great suggestions thus far...the advice regarding the Lake district at that time of year is helpful. We will definitely plan on picking up a car in Oxford and exploring the countryside that way. I didn't mention before that we will have 4 days in London prior to going to Oxford. We will definitely add Blenheim Palace, Stratford, and York to our itinerary. Has anyone visited James Herriott's home in Thirsk? We're thinking of going there...any advice will be appreciated!