Reload this Page >

Enchanted April Italian Location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Jayne

Message: Just watched "Enchanted April" on TV - with Miranda Richardson... I loved it..<BR><BR>I looked on the movie database and they said they filmed in Portofino, Genoa, Liguria, Italy.<BR><BR>I tried looking on the web to see if I could find the place the gals stayed in - but couldn't find it?<BR><BR>Has anyone visited Portofino or knows the areas where they filmed?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Tammy

While you are all looking, please tell me where Il Postino was filmed, it was a small island off Sicily, I think.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 11:43 AM
mia

Tuscany is the closest I can come to-I do know that Tea With Musollini was filmed in San Gemignano and vicinity.Sorry I can't be more helpful, but at least I am in the right neighborhood ~M

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Jerome

Il Postino was filmed in the eolian island of Salina, very beautifull

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 12:42 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I was just in Portofino and know the area. What do you want to know? There are dozens of fancy villas in the area but I do not know which one.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Rosanne

Dear Jayne,<BR><BR>Enchanted April was filmed at Castello San Giorgio, which is up on the hill behind Portofino. About 9 years ago I walked uphill, paid an admission fee and visited the Castello.At that time it was unfurnished, but certainly has an "enchanting" view of harbor.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Jayne

Thank you very much for all the replies..<BR><BR>To Bob The Navigator and Roseanne.. I guess what my question would be - is the place really as tranquil as the film shows it be be - or it is a busy and really touristy place now?<BR><BR>Also, Bob you were mentioning there are many villas around the area - in your opinion are there any small hotels or b&b's in the area that are very much like the one in the film?<BR><BR>We want to go to Italy next year, I was initially thinking of going to Rome again, but now I'm thinking I might like to explore other areas. <BR><BR>For example in the Liguria area, are there roman ruins in the area, or does the area have other draws and points of interests.<BR><BR>How would you compare say, the Liguria area to the Tuscany area in its attraction?<BR><BR>Thanks Again...<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Giacxinto

Sorry, but Il Postino has been filmed mostly in Procida Island, between Ischia and Capri on Naples Bay.<BR>Only the rose house pf Pablo Neruda was in Salina, also beaches are in Procida.<BR>May be you can visit: www.procida.net or www.procidamix.it or my site www.hotelceleste.it.<BR>Thank you anyway for your interest, Giacinto.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 07:22 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jayne, Portofino itself is very touristy and expensive. There is one small hotel that is reasonable named the Eden. However, there are other places on that coast that I prefer as a base destination. <BR>The bigger question is where to go in Italy. I have traveled most of Italy on 9 seperate trips and have planned another 60+ personalized itineraires for others. It depends on you and what you want. My favorite areas are:<BR>The Lakes--really 3 destinations<BR>The Tuscany hill towns<BR>The Ligurian coast--a 100 mile stretch<BR>The Amalfi coast<BR>Dolomites--Trentino/Veneto/Alto Adige<BR><BR>However, I am not a big city guy. You set the criteria---WHEN--HOW LONG--HOW MUCH--CAR OR TRAINS--TRAVEL STYLE ????<BR>It takes 6 weeks to see all of Italy, and it pays to set your specific goals before planning any 2 week sojourn.<BR>Holler if you need help.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Faye

Giacinto, your hotel looks so beautiful. Procida looks like a beautiful island, I would like to visit next year. See you then.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Jane

Getting a bit off the point - sorry Jayne - I would like to ask Bob the Navigator about the 3 destinations in the Lake area. What are the three spots you recommend?

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Jayne

Hey Jane, that's what the travel boards about - exploring new places...<BR><BR>Bob - sorry, I'm not ignoring you - but I'm going to do some research this weekend and then if you don't mind I will get back to you with some questions.<BR><BR>I need to do some background research, and try and pinpoint time of year, how far I want to travel etc.<BR><BR>Thanks for your offer of help by the way..<BR><BR>Jayne

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 01:14 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jayne, There are really 5 Lakes in the area called " the Italian lakes". I tend to define them in 3 geographic areas as follows:<BR>NW of Milan--Lakes Maggiore and Orta<BR>North of Milan--Lakes Como and Lugano<BR>North of Verona---Lake Garda<BR><BR>Each area has its's own charms. Como is the most famous and is fabulous. However, I find the combo of Maggiore and Orta to be equally compelling and has the added advantage of being closer to Malpensa. Garda is a different story and fits better with an itinerary to include Veneto and the Dolomites. Check out www.stresa.net and www.orta.net in your homework. Orta is my personal favorite for romance and serenity.<BR>Hotels are another story, but each has excellent options. Hope this helps !

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:21 AM
betsy

We'll be in Portofino this summer and want to visit villa in Enchanted April. One poster here says it's Castello San Giorgio; however, a poster on another thread says it's Castello Brown. Can anyone verify which it is?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:05 AM
black cloud

TTT

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:07 AM
david

Castello Brown and Castello San Giorgio are the same place. I don't know why it has two names or which is the official name at the moment, but I believe the signs which lead to it say Castello San Giorgio. You can see it up on the hill from the harbor, and you won't have any trouble finding it. There's no furniture in the house now, but you can walk around the grounds for a small admission fee. The views are ravishing.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:41 AM
Diane

I visited the castle several years ago. Yes, the views are breathtaking, but you will not recognize the interior nor the gardens. Be prepared so you won't be disappointed. I wondered at the time if they had filmed the outside of the villa for the movie and filmed the interior/garden shots from another location.<BR><BR>By the way, when I questioned some of the shopkeepers about where they filmed "Enchanted April," they had no idea.<BR><BR>This is one of my favorite movies, and I watch it every six months or so.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:51 AM
Diane

Just found a website that mentions that the author of "Enchanted April" rented Castle Brown in 1921 where she wrote the book. You might be interested in reading the rest of the article.<BR>http://www.prairienet.org/ejahiel/enchanted_april.htm

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:42 PM
GAC

The scenes of the steep cliffs in the movie "Il Postino" were filed at Pollara Beach, Salina Island, Aeolian archipelago. Was there myself late last month.