EMERGENCY: Husband stuck in France without Green Card to return to USA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't the trip report I was anticipating, but I need some Fodorite help.

My husband (a Canadian) and I went to Paris for a week, we had no problems leaving the States or getting to France from London, but upon arrival at CDG to leave Sunday morning, discovered they would NOT let him leave without his Green Card to the USA. He forgot it and left it at home. He does have copies of the "resident alien card" (aka green card) with him, and is now in Paris waiting for the offices to open to find out what's going on and how to get documents to leave the country.

Where does he go and who does he talk to? Embassy or consulate office? All the online info about getting travel permits/etc. without passports applies to US residents. The guy at the airport who wouldn't let DH leave said he has to go to the US Embassy on Monday (which was closed Sunday).

I left the country with my Mom and Aunt so I could help them get through Houston Airport (we weren't sure how it would be post-hurrican Rita, so I didn't want to leave them alone given their limited mobility).

Please help if you have any information about losing your green card before trying to get back into the states. DH will be checking in here to read your answer.

I'll post a more positive trip report later. Got to meet a couple of Fodorites for a Paris GTG last week, which was lovely.

Thanks,

Jules

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM

You are home right? Why not just express the green card to him????

Does he have a Canadian passport? It is possible he may have to fly back to Canada

But whatever, he needs to go to the US embassy.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:32 PM

Wouldn't it just be fastest to FedEx him the green card overnight? They do overnight document envelopes to all major european cities - as long as you mark it properly - documents only - no commercial value - customs doesn;t look at it.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm home and he's there. I could express it to him Monday morning, but he's due to check onto a 10 a.m. flight from CDG on Tuesday morning Paris time , so he wouldn't get the document in time unless he delayed an extra day.

If anyone has information about what he can expect at the US Embassy or Consular office, that would be appreciated. We are hoping to get him some travel document from the US Embassy but he's running into a wall of voice mail and not sure if he will get the help he needs there.

Thanks so much.

Jules
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Your husband needs to get in touch with the US Consulate. Ask him to take the copy of his green card. If he doesn’t have it, you can read him the card number. It usually starts with the letter A_______. They will issue him a temporary card, a small what cardboard type of a card. Make sure it is stamped with his type of visa.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Sorry for the mistake. A small white card.

By the way, the Embassy does not handle anything but matters of state and diplomacy.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:56 PM

I also am a Canadian with a "green card". Two years ago I was about to go from Victoria, BC down to Seattle but had forgotten my card at home (we were living in Germany with the military). I was held up at the U.S. Immigration station in Victoria and missed my ferry. After about an hour of waiting, they got permission from the Seattle office of INS to let me enter, but I had to pay over $200 for a "temporary visa" that they issued on the spot. Having to pay the fee hurt a bit, but considering it was a really dumb mistake on my part I just considered myself lucky to get back into the States without even more trouble. It could have been really nasty since my husband was in Kosovo at the time and there was no way anyone in Germany could have mailed me the card!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:35 PM

I am back, I couldn't sleep. I just remembered the number for a resident alien visa. It should be I-151

Also, of course, he should have his passport with him.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM

There is one thing I do not understand. Didn't your husband carry his Canadian passport with him? He could have entered as a tourist.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Relax, folks, he got out OK..see the other post.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Boy, is this reminiscent of the situation in "French Kiss"!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Now, there’s a gal that learned to travel with very little luggage. She used her little white shirt in a million different ways. Of course, it helps to look like Meg Ryan.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Michael -- they ask my husband at the gate if he lived in the USA -- when he said yes, they asked for his Green Card, hence the horrified look on his face when he realized it was in his wallet at home, and by then he was WAY past being able to come in as a tourist.

It's a new antiterrorism thing I guess. The lady said the US Government will slap airline with a $20,000 fine for letting someone onto a US-Bound flight without proper paperwork. If you have a foreign passport and say you live in the US, you gotta bring the resident alien card with ya.

My husband is on his way home today after a long wait at the Consulate office. Thanks to all who responded. Now I can go back to learning new ways to wear a white shirt ala Meg Ryan.

Jules
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:18 AM

this is a link to your other thread on this subject

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34683281
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I too had a similar experience - coming home from Mexico, I was detained at the TJ/US border and was threatened with deportation back to TJ, because I had left my green card at home. Duh.. $$$ later, I was able to get home. Lesson learned, NEVER leave home without it. Goes onto the list with passport, plane tickets, debit cards, credit cards, GREEN CARD.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 12:47 PM

i had similar experience too. just this last week coming back from UK. Forgot my gC at home before 10 days and realized that 2 days before return date. Called US embassy and emailed and got in touch with someone and they arranged an IAP officer at airport for my at the airline counter before check in. Officeer was good, asked some questions and what not. BUT when i got into US, at the airport they asked me fro transoportation letter and GC.

I did confirm about all docs if anything was required at the airport in US - the IAP officer at London airport said NO, i didnt need any docs. BUT the secondary examination at airport required all and so had to arrange for someone to get to airport to avoid $600 fees. they need physical card no matter what or pay $, i mean pay dollars thats what they prefer. Really, couldnt belive them.....
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM

The original post here is 10 years old.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 05:04 PM

Can't imagine anyone leaving the country without their documents. In any case, the simple answer is to have someone FedEx the document to you overnight at your hotel.

It's not brain surgery just about $25.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 06:48 PM

Your husband is stuck in Paris? I don't see the problem.