Stolen Credit Card Number

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever had their credit card number and info stolen from Orbitz.com, the Sky Europe website, the LOT Polish Airlines website, or Priceline? We have a credit card that we only use for vacations and someone stole the number and used it to buy a computer! Those websites that I listed above are the only websites that I have used my credit card on in the past year! I am trying to find out which one not to use again!
Maria
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:50 PM

It might not be from any of those. It could also be from a keylogger on any computer that you used to buy travel products. Someone could also have intercepted your mail. There are multiple possibilities.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Neopolitan

When someone stole my partner's credit card number and used it to buy $600 worth of tires and $500 worth of camera equipment, the people at Citibank Visa said not to even try to figure out who did it -- there's no way to tell.
Incidentally his card had never been used on line for anything. The only thing we would have thought about was a local restaurant -- but the idea of someone here in Florida using it for goods shipped to a Marland address seemed highly unlikely. Then again,who knows? You get a new card and you move on and hope it doesn't happen again.

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:32 AM

The number for the card that I use for on line transactions was also borrowed. Someone used it to charge $3000 on another website. My security protection stopped the card automatically and I got a new card two days later. It happens. Just need to have a backup when you find your card shut down.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:59 AM

There are machines that some shady folk sell that are little readers. A person (i.e., waiter) could have it inside his pocket, and when he takes the card away to process, swipe it quickly. The reader fills up at 1000 numbers, and can then be sold for cash on the street, for several hundred dollars. Those numbers then get sold to 'clearing houses' all over the country to use.

In order to combat this, many restaurants here (and in Europe) have mobile processors, that they can take to your table so the card need never leave your sight.

This is information I got from an identity theft seminar put on by Bank of America last year.

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:27 AM

..and that is the purpose of the chip and pin cards...the number, in theory, is useless without the pin. Of course there are ways to steal pins too..

It happened to me about 5 years ago...I check my balances each day on the internet and I noticed the cash limit had been reduced by $4,000 couldn't figure it out....when I got home 4 charges for $2,000 had posted to the account from a crooked internet place in France....now of course this business of telling the cc company where you will be travelling didn't do a bit of good but anyway while it was annoying, one call to the cc company, one affadavit later, it all went away and I had a new card...the problem being of course changing the numbers you use to pay your phone bills, your mobile phone bills, your prepaid tolls, your internet service provider companies yada yada yada.

But if it happens, it happens. That is certainly not a reason to worry about it and stop using your credit cards when travelling, this scam goes on all over the world. A couple of years ago, at a high priced store in NY, a foreign customer noticed a clerk in full view running his card through a reader before ringing it up on the register...he notified the police who found it was one of those card readers....or waiters or clerks can simply memorize the number....you notice cc slips no longer have the full cc numbers on them for the most part...big deal...some people have the ability to remember 16 numbers, an expiration date and a security code on the signature panel...as soon as they are finished with you, they write it down. These pieces of garbage then sell the numbers to the organized credit card rings which are very prevelent in Eastern Europe and in Nigeria...the death penalty is too good for these jerks....but anyway as the Citibank officer noted, there is very little you can do about it so why worry.