Email list hi-jacked

Search

Email list hi-jacked

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Email list hi-jacked

I'm sorry for anyone who got that ad for a chineese co. I did not send it. my list was hi-jacked. a few days ago I spent $$$ for almost 4 hours that a tech removed whatever shouldn't be in my PC.
What else can I do? Any suggestions from an expert?
I won't send out nor receive group mailigs, nor keep my PC on at night when asleep.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

topping. This is bad time for this to happen. I have enough problems.
To whoever did this, may all the fleas in the world attack you in your most vulnerable spot
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know if there really is any way to truly protect your email. I have received "junk" email from my own yahoo address that was sent *to* me! Since I clearly did not send myself an ad for fake Rolex watches, I have to imagine that the ad may also have been sent---somehow---to people in my address book.

How this (computer stuff) all works is so over my head but one thing I do know is that no one will hold you responsible, any more than you would blame your friends for a similar incident.

From what little I can figure out, a lot of these spam type ads originate by kidnapping peoples' legitimate email addresses. Good luck, but try not to unduly worry about it.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:12 AM
ira

Hi Cigal,

What antivirus software do you currently have on your computer?

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:19 AM

Shouldn't the question be how secure is cigale's ISP as email usually works off the ISP's server (unless downloaded to something like Outlook on one's hard drive). All my email lists and messages reside on an AT&T server, not on my computer.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Again, I must plead unbelievably intense ignorance. However, in my case, it is my yahoo address----that is not downloaded to outlook---that seems to have been appropriated from time to time. My comcast address which *is* in Outlook has never had any problems....

My main point was to try to assure cigale to try not to feel such distress over something that is not her fault.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

I have Macfee and three cleaners. My outlet express doesn't work and the tech couldn't fix it. I can't sent or receive there.
Thank you socialworker
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 06:38 AM

cigale - no one is blaming you!

Do you have a firewall, anti-phishing, and spyware for your computer? I used to have only anti-virus software and my last computer was so virused I had to toss it out.

But again, it sounds like your email is running off your ISP server and there's nothing you can do about this except use a different ISP.