Computer expert-HELP!

Search

Computer expert-HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Computer expert-HELP!

I can't send emails. When I click on a name nothing happens. It reads on the tray javascript, so I deleted the JC but it still reads that when I click on a name
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

HELP!
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
J62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to provide a little more info.

What do you use for email? hotmail? yahoo? google mail? Outlook?

What do you mean 'click on a name?' When I use email I never click on a name - I just enter the email address of the person to whom I wish to send an email.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM

Hi Mimi, repost this in the Lounge with more details and I would imagine you will get more help with your computer/email problem. Give as much detail as you can. Hopefully Robes or Andrew or someone that is computer savy will see your thread. Best wishes dear.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM

Some posters have their email addr displayed, so I'm thinking c. is trying to click on that to initiate an email.

Cigalechanta, if nothing else, you could perhaps open your own email application, start a new note and the copy the person's email address and then paste it into the To: on your note...
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM

Are you using AOL or Yahoo or what?
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks to those that responded. I have hotmail and can answer if you sent me one but not able to start one but can cut and paste the address.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

When I click on the mail I want to send, nothing happens but it reads in the tray, javascript. i deleted all the java I could find but it still shows up.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:09 AM

You actually NEED java ... it powers and runs all sorts of applications. Likely a problem came up with it preventing your hotmail from working properly.

Having now deleted all the java you could find, chances of your email and other things working properly again are slim to nil.

You can read up on and download Java
here: http://tinyurl.com/5hkltg

Rob
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks Rob, I did put in java office but still the same situation. No one responds in the lounge but here I think th posters are more knowlegeable about PCs. I'm totally inept.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM

You have not mentioned trying the first measure that solves a lot of problems: close down everything, and reboot the computer. That solves about 90% of the glitches I experience.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

That was the first thing I did!
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM

Java Office is a productivity
suite that runs on Java... I think
what you need can be found here:

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Pick the right one for your flavour
of Windows...
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM

Hi Mimi,

I'm trying to figure out where you're getting hung up. If you're in Hotmail, do you see "New" as in new email message as an option? Can you open up a new email message? Or, is the problem because there or is there no, "TO" field? I can't figure out why you can't manually type in an email address???

Post as much detail as you can about what you're actually doing in Hotmail so we can see where it's failing.

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:13 AM

The javascript/Java thing is a red herring: using javascript on a website doesn't require Java itself to be installed.

From what cigalechanta says, if she only uses a web-based service like hotmail, then the script Fodor's is using to call up an email program won't call it up. The standard website coding to do this tells the user's computer to open up whatever is set as the default email program. Hotmail is not an email program, it's a website.

Possibly cigalechanta has no email program installed on her computer, or none is identified as the default email program.

Web-based mail services are useful as a way of helping to protect yourself against spam and viruses, but this is one of the downsides.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:26 AM

ditto what PatrickL says... when I click on an email link, my pc opens Outlook. but I don't use Outlook and don't have an Outlook profile set up, so that doesn't work for me. Instead I have to copy/paste the email addr. into the To: line of my email account's 'new message', which is Yahoo Mail, a web-based email facility (as is Hotmail).
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I am no computer expert, but if I am reading Mimi's problem correctly, she is not clicking on names in Fodors. If I understand what she is saying, she can not click on a name in her contacts in hotmail so the address is not going into "toquot; line on the e-mail. Is that right, Mimi?
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

good morn all. Yes, nikki. When I open up my contact list, usually I just checked the persons name and the box opens up with the email to send my message, now that doesn't work but there is the word merge next to the contact send, I find that opens up a box for me to send. So I guess I'm going to have the copy my endless email addresses on paper as I can no longer automatically do it
ParisA, I removed the java office suite and installed the standard.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM

I'm wondering if perhaps you've got some sort of pop-up protection on your internet browser that stops that bit of scripting working.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Patrick, I use hotmail also, and I just tried to do what Mimi describes. It isn't a pop-up that comes when you click on the contact; the screen changes to the e-mail write screen with the contact's name already filled in. So it doesn't sound like a pop-up blocker issue to me (although I do not have any expertise).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -