Reload this Page >

Concerned about registration

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:10 AM
xxx

Some have suggested here that they wouldn't register with their regular email account but would with hotmail or other. I want to register but am concerned since I don't have multiple email accounts. I don't want to get spammed or have my email account out there for anyone to get. What do you helpful Fodorites suggest?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:33 AM
xxx

I almost always used my regular eMail address.<BR><BR>I receive almost no unsolicited eMails. Except of course from ClassMates or whatever their name is.<BR><BR>Of course the reason I didn't use my correct eMail address here is that the usual types will send eMails just to prove me wrong.<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:34 AM
Alec

Why don't you sign up for a free e-mail account? There are loads out there and takes about a minute to register. Fodors say they won't reveal your e-mail address and won't pass on or sell to anyone else. I have been using a valid e-mail address on this forum, but with a spam-trap and haven't received any spam.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:53 AM
frank

Surely very few people will register just in order to ask a travel question.I have a zillion email addresses but dont see the point of registering for this clique.<BR>Goodbye to fodors for me.They have given in to the trolls.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:15 AM
sfowler

Fodors alone will see your email -- Your email will NOT appear on the forum -- only your user name. When you register you have to check boxes positively to receive mail from Fodors and they state clearly that the email addresses are for registration only and will not be used in any other way. As a privacy policy that beats the stuffing out of many other sites out there that collect more than your email.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:49 AM
Joyce

Many ISP's let you create extra email addresses for family members or other usage. I use one of these extra addresses for my spam mail. To stop the spam from getting too massive, I just periodically change the spam address. <BR><BR>An advantage of using your regular email ISP for this purpose is you can avoid having to put up with the advertising and other annoyances involved with using Hotmail and some of the other free services, and also have the option of getting the mail through an e-mail client instead of only through the Web.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:19 AM
DontBeSo

I have two hotmail accounts, one for just ordering things online, and one for mail. <BR>It takes a minute to do it and you can feel &quot;safer&quot; about putting an email address &quot;out there&quot;.<BR>When posting on registered Fodors, your email address does not show-only your user name.<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:32 AM
bettyk

If you read the information on registration, you would have seen that once you register, your email address WILL NOT be published. The email address is required to complete your registration.