Search

Electronics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronics

Do the electrical adapters really work? I'm going from the States to UK and have PDAs and digital cameras to charge. I don't want to fry them and have heard horror stories. Anyone have a good experience. Also are there any places where you can download your media cards to CD-rom's that will work in the States?

Thanks
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We are gadget freaks and took everything with us to England the summer before last -- digital cameras, video cam, portable dvd player, and laptop. They all charged just fine. You do need to check the manual on each item though, just to make sure. We downloaded our photos onto the laptop and burned our own cds.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that information. Worried about flying with a laptop. Did a few years ago, after 9/11, and swore I'd never do it again. Lots of airport trouble with the gadgets, now trying to get by with the PC PDA. Maybe I'll try a laptop again......
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Most rechargers and adapters on modern electronics are compatible with the higher currencies. Look on the device and if it says "Input: 100-240v" it will be fine. You will just need to have a plug adaptor so it can be plugged into their wall outlets.

Personal appliances like curling irons and hairdryers are a different story. You may need currency converters - and even then they may fry.

If you're in London, there are photo chains like Snappy Snaps all over town where you can get your memory cards burned to CD. They may be a little harder to find in smaller towns and villages, but any decent sized town shoudl have something.

You may also want to invest in an extra media card for your camera.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 04:44 AM
ira

Hi gm,

An **adaptor** is a mechanical device that allows you to connect your two prong flat blade plug into the two round hole wall outlet.

A **convertor** is an electrical device that changes European 220 Volt current to US 110 V current.

Your electronic and electrical gadgets should have a label that says 110 - 220V.

If they do, you need only an adaptor.
If they say only 110V, you need a converter.