Reload this Page >

Should I take my digital camera?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:28 PM
BigRedFlash71

I'm going to France soon and I have concerns about frying my camera when I try to recharge the batteries.

I've got a Sony DSC-V1, which has been a great little camera for me but the batteries don't last long. Of course I'd love to take it on my trip, but if I'm going to face a real risk of damaging it I'll just take the old 35mm that has performed well for me on past trips to Europe.

Do I take the Sony? If so, what kind of convertors/adaptors do I need?

Or do I stock up on batteries to last the entire trip? This would cost a small fortune, mind you.

Or do I simply take my 35mm SLR and leave the digital at home to enjoy stateside?

I appreciate everybody's opinion.

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM
rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you currently own some "thing" that plugs into the wall to power/re-charge the atteries that don't last long?

Assuming that you do, what does it say on it?

It may well be dual voltag already. If so, then you only need a four dollar plug adapter, to make it fit in the wall, in European receptacles.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Most adapter/chargers are dual voltage and you should be able to confirm same by looking at the unit or calling Sony. If so, then get an extra battery or two to carry with you. If not, go to http://www.thomas-distributing.com/. They have a broad selection of batteries, chargers, and adapters and will certainly be able to provide you with what you need. With a dual voltage charger (most of which set the voltage automatically), you need have no concern about frying anything and you should have sufficient battery backup to have your Sony ready when you need. Make sure to recharge nightly, howevever. If you're happy with the resolution of the digital, by all means take it, especially since you have the advantage of deleting images that you're not happy with. The problem with the 35mm is that you won't know for a while what you've got. I've been through the whole thing and now take only a 4MP digital with two sets of batteries. Works out fine. Just make sure you have enough storage to hold the images.

Enjoy!

Russell
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:22 PM
BigRedFlash71

Here's my setup. I've got 2 cords. One plugs into the wall and has a strange looking plug that plugs into a small black box on the other cord that I'm now beginning to realize must be an adaptor. Funny how traveling makes you notice things! Anyway, this black box (adaptor) has the following info on it:

Sony AC-LS5
AC Power Adaptor
AC In 100-240V 50/60Hz 11W

There's more info on it but I've seen on other postings that the Voltage and Hertz seem to be the most important things. So does it look like I just need a plug adaptor to modify the end so I can plug it into the wall over there? If so, what kind of adaptor is it? I mean, when I go to the hardware store how do I know what to look for? I'm obviously not a handyman!

Thanks for your help!

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Why oh why do people who travel internationally buy cameras that take rechargeable batteries? I am on my second digital camera, and both use AA batteries. And they last a good long time because I don't use my LCD screen that often. I carry a spare set and buy more during my trip if I run out. So much more convenient. And I usually come back from a two week trip with around 200 photos.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I'm still learning my camera, but it takes different kinds of batteries - AA has the shortest battery life and camera may not perform as well. Better to use the 'electronics' type battery (is it a CR?).. I guess each brand of camera is different, just to lend to the confusion.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM

BigRed, what you do is go to Radio Shack, and tell them you are traveling to Europe, and need a converter, so you can plug in your camera charger. They will hand you a little gizmo that is about the size of an electric shaver. It will have a few different settings and switches on it, to vary the plug size/voltage for various countries. You plug the converter into the outlet. You plug your item into the converter. Your camera gets charged, and nothing gets blown up or fried. Mine cost about $20.

Have fun in France.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:01 PM

If it makes you happy, get a converter, but if the info you posted about your camera is correct, you don't need a converter. Your battery charger will accept 240v French electricity.

I take several hundred pictures a day so really need that charger. I took my digital to France last November and took 3 sets of rechargeable batteries so I always had one set charging, one set in the camera and one set for a spare. I never did use the spare so it was overkill.

I plugged my battery charger in the socket in the bathroom for the electric shaver. Worked perfectly. (I had my laptop plugged into the wall by the desk so the batteries were relegated to the bathroom!)

Even if your batteries get "fried," it is no great loss. Just go to any tabac or department store and get some AA batteries, rechargeable or otherwise. French batteries are just like our batteries.

When you first buy rechargeable batteries, you'll get a much longer life out of them if you put them in the charger until they are completely charged. Then turn the charger off and right back on and recharge them again. Do this 4 or 5 times. The man at the camera store told me this and my batteries have been great. You only have to do it the first time. After that, just charge until your little light turns green and put them back in the camera.

Someone above mentioned and it bears repeating . . . use the camera view finder, not the LCD window display when taking pictures. The LCD uses a lot more battery power and the viewfinder works just as well unless you're taking a picture over a wall or something.

I got the digital so I wouldn't have to worry about taking film through x-ray machines at the airport. I love it and will never go back.

If Radioshack doesn't have the adapter for the French wall plugs, check a luggage store or even WalMart or Target. They're pretty common.

Have a great trip and don't worry about your camera.

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:12 PM

DSC-v1 is a nice camera, but alas, it takes a Sony proprietary infolithium C series battery. From what you said about your Sony AC-LS5 AC Power Adaptor, all you need is a plug adaptor costing just few dollars for continental Europe that includes France.

Your AC operating range includes 240V and 50Hz so nothing more than this few dollar item is needed.

I am afraid you need to buy enough batteries to last you between charges. Those NP-FC11 batteries are not cheap.

I recently bought a DSC-P72 after comparing to the DSC-P8. Although I liked DSC-P8 for its size, proprietary NP-FC11 vs off the shelf NiMH AA battery swayed me to get the larger camera.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:17 AM
ira

crepes_a_go_go asks

> Why oh why do people who travel internationally buy cameras that take rechargeable batteries? <

So that when we get back to the hotel we can recharge the batteries each evening and not have to buy more batteries.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:23 AM
ira

Hi BRF,

The black box is a charger, not an adaptor.

Take your device to a camera shop or Radio Shack and tell them which country(ies) you are going to.

Since your charger is dual-voltage, you need an adaptor, which is a small device into which you insert the plug that goes into the wall outlet in the US. The adaptor is then inserted into the wall outlet in the foreign land.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:53 AM
TheDogsNameIsIndiana

Big Red

Your battery charger is already equipped to handle European voltage

Sony AC-LS5
AC Power Adaptor
AC In 100-240V 50/60Hz 11W

Where it says AC In means it can handle any voltage from 100 to 240. The device adjusts itself to the proper voltage. All you need is a two pronged plug adapter.

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:11 AM

My battery charger is not dual voltage, and I think I will be purchasing one that is before our next trip to Europe. Our setup went like this: charger into converter into US/GB adapter into French adapter. The pile was about 5 inches high. Since the only available outlet was midway up the bathroom wall, the whole mess had to rest on top of my cosmetic case which was perched precariously on top of the toilet paper holder. (Hmmmm...maybe I could have used duct tape??) We had to buy the French adapter at HBV for 9.80E, but I needed it for my European curling iron anyway. So be sure you have a French adapter before you go!
I took less than 200 digital pics during our 6 days, partly because I also used our point and shoot 35mm camera, which has produced beautiful pics over the years.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:25 AM
rex

<<The black box is a charger, not an adaptor.>>

Actually, the black box IS a "convertor", or technically, a "transformer". Recharging the batteries does not require a "device" per se, it only requires an incoming source of DC electric power. The black box transforms alternating current from the wall (ranging from 110 to 240 volts, at 50-60 cycles/second) into the required DC power.

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 01:49 PM

"Why oh why do people who travel internationally buy cameras that take rechargeable batteries?"

An alternative is why are people filling up landfills with batteries when re-chargeables are available?

By the way Thanks for the info here. I just got a new digital. I was pretty sure that all I needed was the plug adaptor and based on the responses here it looks good.

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:03 AM

I travel with 2 sets of AA rechargeable batteries. That way I never have to worry about dead batteries.

Regarding rechargers..

Somewher on the net I found a study (done I think by an electical engineer).

He said the the longest charge is from a recharger that charges each battery independently...rather than charging them an average amount of time.

My recharger has 4 lights..one for each battery. As each individual battery is charged..that light goes out and the others continue to charge.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:26 AM

All you need to do is buy one more battery for your camera, and the 3-4 dollar adapter others have told you about.

Charge your battery every night when you go to bed. Carry the fully-charged spare with you in case your other battery dies.

I'd be more concerned about memory than I would batteries.