Electric devices

Dec 30th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Electric devices

I am going to Italy in May, 2006. What do I need to bring or do in terms of converters or plug adapters for Italian current to be able to use U.S. hair blowers, shavers, etc.?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack
Dec 30th, 2005, 05:32 AM

If your appliances are dual voltage, you just need an adaptor. I've found mine at the hardware store.

If your items are not dual voltage, you will need a converter with the adaptor. Many will suggest that if you need to go to that expense, that you may want to pick up some inexpensive appliances while in Europe.

I would suggest checking with your hotels to find if they have hair dryers available to eliminate some of the worry. All of our hotels on the last trip had them in our rooms.

Dec 30th, 2005, 08:34 AM

moldyhotelsaregross is correct.

A problem with some dual voltage hairdryers is that they only run in low power on 240. If your hotels have dryers, don't carry one.

A bladed razor will take less room and weigh a lot less that an electric one, and a good soaping will work for shaving cream.

If you do have to get a power adaptor, be sure to get one that covers the power rating of the items your using.
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM

I have to admit I am confused because I am trying to figure something out that isn't for me...for my parents.

I seem to recall special outlets for razors in some of the hotels in Italy that I've stayed in. I don't use one personally so I've never tried and don't even know the settings on razors.

If there is an outlet in the bathroom with that little razor logo can one just plug in their U.S. electric razor and go with it?

I realize blades are easier btw...
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:31 AM

Note date..,.What did the poster do?
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
ira

Hi C,

Get a dual voltage hair dryer before you go.

All of your small electroncis should be 110-220V.

Get a plug adapter with two cylindrical prongs.

Enjoy your visit.

Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:34 AM

The original poster doesn't seem to have been around for a couple of years now... maybe he got his voltages confused and fried himself in an Italian hotel bathroom! ;^(
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM

mdtravel topped this question to try to help out his/her parents.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM

And topped it so as to avoid the 'search' responses. Might resort to a new post.