Paros, Sifnos or Syros??

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paros, Sifnos or Syros??

Hi all,

I am in athens at the moment, and want to go to an island for a few nights. I havent done much research which is highly unusual for me, as this has all been a bit of a rushed, last-minute trip.

I was initially thinking santorini, as this is supposed to typify what the greek islands look like - at least in the postcard sense \
but am finding it really hard to book accomodation, and know which bit to go to - i.e. Oia etc. its also quite a long ferry trip.

Am now thinking maybe it will be easier, and less expensive, to go to a closer island such as sifnos etc. but not sure which out of those three i should pick. any tips? does one of these islands stand out over the others?
thanks so much,
Carly
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM

I cannot resist -- Sifnos, Sifnos, Sifnos!! I've been there 2x in early June, (and I do know Paros as well; have been there 4x). YOu can get a hi-speed to Sifnos just as fast as Paros -- & I find it more beautiful.

Sifnos has "postcard views" especially if u stay up in hills -- APollonia is great! Contact Thesaurus agency right away! they have a local office & know all the good budget artemonas/Apollonia places -- if u are lucky u can get Geronti Rooms... or ask them for something like that, nearby. Here's their direct link:
http://www.thesaurus.gr/sifnos_apoll...ommodation.htm

The bus network to beaches is good in July-- I like Vathy best, others go for Platy Gialos. OR u can rent a car for a day.

For breathaking "white & blue" townscape, walk the old flagstone path (30mins) from APpollonia to Chora-- the tiny town overhangs the sea, hasn't changed in 500yrs.

Carly both times I went to Sifnos I was solo, at end of tiring trip with others, so happy to be on my own -- and both times I met nice/jolly people to spend time with, beach with, dine with. Sifnos attracts interesting, intelligent people.
GO! GO NOW! ENjoy!

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you didn't mention Hydra but you can get there easily and quickly from Athens. We stayed there last October and loved it. There are no cars, only donkeys and the odd rubbish truck. Not much to do but we were happy just wandering, eating, people-watching from the waterfront cafes etc. We found it very peaceful. There are cats everywhere which we liked but I don't think the locals thought much of them, they seemed mostly uncared for.

We stayed at http://www.ippokampos.com/
and would recommend it, friendly owners and about 5 mins walk from the harbour where the boats come in.
Kay
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

travelerjan, thank-you so much for all that info. i am in the middle of trying to convince the athenians i am currently staying with that sifnos is going to as good as santorini ... so thanks again. i think thats a decision made.