Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eixample or La Ribera for Apartment in Barcelon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is subjective, but if you were to spend a week in Barcelona, and have narrowed down to those two districts...which one?

We will walk forever in a city, would like to immerse ourselves in the culture, have two teens who would like to be independent of us some evenings. Would prefer to come home to a somewhat quiet apt. to sleep.
Many thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:18 AM

I think l'Eixample is better. It's more quite, elegant and safe (I don't mean that La Ribera is unsafe).
But, if possible, choose the center of l'Eixample (from Aribau to Passeig de Sant Joan).
L'Eixample is the area where Harrison Ford lived when he spent a summer in BCN (last year or two years ago).
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:25 AM

They don't call it the "Gayxample" for nothing...more fun, more places to eat, and nobody will be molesting anyone, either..go for it
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM

The 'Gayxample' is just a couple of blocks of the quite big Eixample, known for a concentration of gay bars and even a gay hotel.

La Ribera (aka El Born) is part of the old town, meaning narrow streets, might feel unsafe at night, but a lot of atmosphere (quite some bars there as well).
In Eixample you have wide lanes, it's more 'chique' and home of the Gaudi-esque architecture. But indeed, stick to the central part like alex2 mentioned.
If you have a specific address, I might be able to tell you more about the place.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

stardust,

could you email me privately re: specific apts. I don't want to burden everyone on this board with details .

[email protected]