Barcelona-best neighborhood for us?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last minute plans and I have very little time to do my own research (sorry!) and need help deciding which neighborhood would be best for us in Barcelona. Older couple, not much into museums, but like SAFE neighborhoods where we can walk and have access to public transport. Very much like to be in the area of good mid-range and budget restaurants (usually the places where locals go), interesting shops, and nicer, less expensive places to stop for coffee, wine, cocktails, etc. Like traditional versus new. No car. Will be looking for self-catering or looking for less expensive hotels (less than $100 per night if possible). Your suggestions are most appreciated.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM

I would suggest that you stay in Barri Gòtic (The Gothic quarter), the oldest part of town and as central as possible, on the eastern side of the city's main walk La Rambla. The metro system is excellent and taxis are cheap. Very popular area with a lot of people out on the streets at almost all hours. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...barcelona.html

Not easy to find good hotels in the area for less than $100 a night, but you might check out these places:

http://www.booking.com/hotels/hotel/...out=2009-04-15

Lots of excellent tapasbars and restaurants in the area and it doesn't need to be expensive. Go into one of Europe's, if not the world's, finest food markets, La Boquería, just off La Rambla and sit down at one of the tapas bars inside the market. As good as it gets! The city's oldest restaurant, Can Culleretes (from 1786) is also nearby and serves traditional catalan food at reasonable prices in a very atmospheric environment. Had an excellent lunch there a couple of years ago (book ahead): http://www.culleretes.com/ENGLISH/ENGpresentation.htm
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Would you say the Barrio Gótico is the safest part of Barcelona, then?

I find the Eixample better as well as Paseo de Gracia, although you must be on your guard everywhere. But I personally do not like the darkness of B. G. at night, nor Las Ramblas. Too many dark side streets and scummy people lurking around after hours when the shops close.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:22 AM

"I find the Eixample better as well as Paseo de Gracia,"

agree . I dislike the Ramblas any time.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM

I don't think Barrio Gótico is more unsafe than anything else if you go out to eat with "the rest of the world" until 11pm and then have a drink or two on your way home to the hotel. Stay on, or north of, C/ de Ferran or towards the beautiful Santa María del Mar Church in the Born/La Ribera district (loaded with people of all ages, nice outdoor cafés, tapas bars and restaurants) and stick to the upper half of La Rambla (I agree that La Rambla itself is not so interesting) and in my opinion you are as safe as you can be in the center of a big city and you would almost for certain have a very nice time.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM

We are very like you, and when we visited several years ago we stayed in the Eixample area and found it to our liking. We were also planning at rather the last minute, and online I found a nice apartment for our 4 day stay. Sorry, but I don't believe I have the info on it any more.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM

I think the Barri Gotic, with all its twisting alleyways, is distinctly more unsafe than other areas of Barcelona, and would be my last choice when it comes to safety.

I also dislike Las Ramblas.

If you've been out drinking, take a taxi at night.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM

Your very safest neighborhood-the Eixample. Ditto to what zeppole has told you.