Need advice from LA natives ASAP!

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice from LA natives ASAP!

A sudden 6 month internship/coop opportunity (required by his major and just found out today) has presented itself to my naive, East Coast son (a junior) at a studio in West Hollywod. The interview is in a few days and sounds like a pretty sure thing. He leaves for the West Coast in 3 weeks, has never lived on his own outside of a college dorm. He knows no one or anything about LA (neither do I). He will not have a car when he moves out there. So....

He needs to find immediate housing in West Hollywood. He prefers to walk or take a quick bus. Job is near intersection of Santa Monica Blvd. and N. La Brea Ave. What are good housing areas (or actual apt. bldgs)considering saftey/ proximity/amenities? How much is reasonable to spend per month for an efficiency?

Any other thoughts welcome. The suddenness of all this is causing mild panic. Any info welcome, housing, transporation, or otherwise.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:47 PM

Congratulations to your son! Now, get ready for some sticker shock. The West Hollywood/Fairfax/Hollywood areas are fairly pricey, even for studio apartments. Everyone uses craigslist.com for this kind of project, and that's a good place to start. Most apartment leases run for a year, so he'll have to look for month-to-month arrangements, or sublets etc.

One month-to-month building I know is at 733 N. Kings Road in WH. It's got a little bit of a Swinging Singles past, but now it's a mix of singles, young couples and what-not. They actually have an efficiency floorplan listed-- starting at $1025 a month. The location, however, can't be beat-- a block north of Melrose Ave. and maybe four blocks south of Santa Monica Blvd. Either street will get your son on a crosstown bus to La Brea. Markets, clubs, restaurants, galleries, everything is a walk away.

There are cheaper places to be found, but I haven't looked for apartments anywhere, let alone the Westside, in over 10 years (I live outside of LA now). There are quite a few LA experts who will have better, and more up-to-date, advice, but the apartment building I mention is a firm recommendation (I dated someone who lived there, and it was a pretty nice place).
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:47 PM

I emailed my cousin in LA to see if he has any suggestions or even of papers, etc where to look.
If I hear from him I will post again.

In the meantime, he should ask at the interview, (or perhaps even before: maybe he can even scope a few places out while he is there if he can spend an extra few hours while out there) I would think if they take interns of that age, then they may have some info or referrals to pass along - or at least be able to tell him areas to look in - I would think this is a question asked by any out of town interns. - and remind him while he is out there to also pick up some local papers, transit info, etc to look over during the 3 wks he is back east before leaving.

Also, police depts (the non emergency numbers) are often a great resource for asking about safe areas in a new location.

He will love it out in LA - what a great experience for him - and a fun place for you to visit too !!
If he can live in a college dorm, he can likely live anywhere
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:52 PM

Silly me-- try:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/apa/

Direct link to their apartments page.

You can also look for listings with the LA Weekly (laweekly.com).

Another area that is pretty close would be the Miracle Mile area. The rents are reasonable, as I recall.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:01 PM

Westwood/UCLA area is about a 15 minute bus ride into West Hollywood, and city bus service runs frequent and all night.

At dailybruin.com you might find some students with a sublet available for that time period.

Studio City area north of Hollywood is safe and full of young people, it is just a 15 minute bus ride to Santa Monica/La Brea so any apts that you find "walking distance to Universal Studios" would fit the bill.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM

cousin says most of what has been posted:
craigs list, LA Times, and mentioned Park La Brea as safe and close, but said cost might be an issue depending on budget. Good Luck !
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:07 PM

My son and his girlfriend (both recent BU grads)just drove across the country to try their fate in LA.They have been there 2 weeks.
They had good luck with Westside Rentals and they were able to secure an apartment in Los Feliz where they feel comfortable. (parents co-signing)They have used Craig's list for second hand furniture, etc.
They LOVE it out there, though the job search is tough.
Good luck to your son.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

You all are the best! I will be looking at all recommendations. Still looking at area transit and everything else. This came at a very busy time for me at work, my singing group, my other son and a million other things. My son is swamped with quarter finals, term projects/papers, etc.

BTW, I just fond out he has an inter=view for ANOTHER studio on the same day.

Again, thanks. More please....
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM

West Hollywood is a very safe area. We live in Miracle Mile and it's also safe and full of young, hip people. Rents are high everywhere in LA.

If he can find something off the Metro Redline subway or near one of the Metro Rapid buslines, he's in luck.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM

Oh- and not to be disparaging, but it's easiest to find an apt. when you're out here. Almost IMPOSSIBLE to do from a distance. Trust me, I've "been there."
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM

He might need to focus on a roommates situation or a sublet. Apts are very hard to find if you don't have good credit and a current steady job, and he definitely won't find an "apt." if he tells the landlord that he is just staying 6 months.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Tracy.

Since I won't be paying tuition/dorm/meals for the next six months I will be paying his rent.

lynnejoe,

While it would of course be best to be IN LA while looking for an apartment, my son will be attending classes right up his internship/coop and I don't have any vacation left after all my leisure travel. Unfortunately, I have to do everything from DC.