Edinburgh -what not to miss

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Edinburgh for 2 full days not counting the day we arrive.

What are your favorite must see sights, restaurants, pubs, etc.

I have done a search but would love to hear more.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:05 PM

Hi ga9497,

I went to Edinburgh last Sept and I just love it! I think 2 full days will be enough to travel the city. The Royal Mile is must and on the 2 ends of this road are the Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyrood. They are both worth seeing!
If you want to shop a little bit you could also go to Princess's Street.
In terms of food, I personally like smoked salmon and fish and chips, they taste really good.
Have fun there!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:54 PM

ga9497

If you email me, I'll send you some stuff I keep on disc. It's all on here, but I know searching for it can be a pain.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:18 AM

There are underground ghost tours. They are very entertaining. http://www.auldreekietours.co.uk.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:26 AM

i would recommend the Grainstore Restaurant on Victoria St. Really nice food. Also, at the other end of the scale, make sure you try haggis and chips with 'sauce' from any chip shop. the sauce has no name, its just called 'sauce'. Try it!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 10:53 AM
JMM

Gladstone's Land (on the Royal Mile) is interesting and if you like Georgian architecture do not miss New Town (north of Prince's St.).
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, great information

Sheila, I am going to email you now.

I also wanted to add that we will be traveling with children ages 10 and 8 and it will be in early July. We will have a car and we are flying home to the U.S. from Edinburgh.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Just got back from Edinburgh last week -spent four days - my first visit. All I can say is AWESOME! Great food and drink, friendly locals, stunning architecture, and plenty to do and see.

Must sees/do:
Day 1
1. Edinburgh Castle
2. Holyroodhouse Palace
Day 2
3. Royal Mile - shopping
4. Princess Street/Rose Street - shopping
Also, St. Andrews is a nice half-day trip, and a must-see if you are a golf fan like myself (a little over 1 hour drive).

We ate at the Witchery and Haldane's. Witchery is probably the most famous restaurant in Edinburgh; it sits at the bottom of the Edinburgh Castle. Good food and service, my only problem was that everyone eating there was a tourist.

Haldane's was less "touristy", and the food and service were outstanding.

Both restaurants served traditional Scottish food: salmon, very good steak (from Abderdeen, Scotland), venison, and most of all, haggis, which tastes like mushy sausage.

Have a wonderful time !
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 10:10 PM

Your children might like the story of Greyfriars Bobby, the little dog who was so faithful to his master and is buried near him in Greyfriars cemetery behind the church. It's lovely story. There's a little statue of Bobby at the entrance from memory. The locals will tell you the street it's on, sorry I don't have my notes handy but I went there on the way to the castle.
There are also a number of small museums along the Royal Mile, start from the castle and then it's downhill, that are free admission.
I also recall a good pancake house half way down the mile which was great.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:17 AM
Ani

We stopped in at St. Giles Cathedral on the Royal Mile to have a look round...it is really beautiful! Tremendous stained glass, beautiful architecture-if you're on the Mile-don't miss it.

Definately take an open top bus tour-we did it all 3 days we were there-hop on hop off anywhere you like-it's great! It was the first thing we did---great choice!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:31 AM

for the children there is The Museum of childhood. there is also the waxwork museum.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:58 AM

While recently in Edinburgh, we visited Mary King's Close, which attempts to recreate life in medieval and Georgian Edinburgh. It's a tour of a close (alley) that was blocked off in the early 19th century and has only recently been open to the public. We thought it was fun, very educational, and I bet your kids would like it as much as you do.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:27 AM

I second the Museum of Childhood recommendation (just across the road from Gladstone's land on the Royal Mile). I used to love going there when I was a kid (and still do, actually!). The Royal Museum/ Museum of Scotland on Chambers street is also a fun place to visit with kids - both the old and new sections. And, both this and the Museum of Childhood are free.