Edinburgh - worth 2 days?

Jan 20th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Nat

Edinburgh - worth 2 days?

I'll be travelling to London for the first time next month and originally planned to spend 8 days there. I was thinking of taking a 2 day excursion to see Edinburgh (and perhaps a day trip to Glasgow?). Wanted some opinions about whether Edinburgh was worth the 2 day detour or better saved for a later trip.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 20th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Maira

I was highly impressed by Edinburgh. We drove to this beautiful city on our way back from the Western Highlands and I still remembered how seeing the Edinburgh Castle for the first time left me speechless. Very walkable city, interesting history, fun pubs, good restaurants. I certainly think a two day excursion to Edinburgh is worth it, but wouldn't push it by splitting the time with Glasgow. Do be prepared for posters that will tell you that 8-days in London is hardly enough, but again, if you think the opportunity to see Edinburgh in the future is slim, I would strongly recommend that you take the chance this time.

Jan 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Debbie

I too, enjoyed a few days in Edinburgh.
We took the "bullet" train from London - 4 hrs or something.
Then we spent one day touring both Holyrood Palace (make sure the Queen is not in residence, or you can't tour it) and the Castle.
note - Start at the Castle then walk DOWNHILL on the Royal Mile to the Palace. We did it the other way
Stop at St Giles, and a tea shop for lunch .

We used our 2nd day for shopping on Princes Street.

Definitely worth the trip.

Jan 20th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Grasshopper

I would take a 2 day trip to Edinburgh if I could take a fast train. It's a LONG drive.

Jan 20th, 2003, 02:22 PM
uncle sam

Edinburgh is definitely worth two days!

Best castle I've been to and the people are friendly, the lager is good and so is the food!

US

Jan 20th, 2003, 02:23 PM
m

We thoroughly enjoyed Edinburgh! We took a quite inexpensive flight there from London. You do not need a car at all there. Be sure to walk up to Arthurs Seat...great views!

Jan 20th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Maira

Nat, you do realized that nobody is recommending you to drive there (including myself), right? A fast red-eye from London would be perfect.

Jan 20th, 2003, 02:52 PM
David

If you don't mind sleeping on the train, take an overnight there and back. You'd get two full days in Edinburgh. Two nights of combined transportation/lodging might save a little cash.

Yes Edinburgh IMHO is worth it.

Jan 20th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Bill

You can skip Glasgow.

Jan 20th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Mel

Absolutely worth it--you'll enjoy the contrast between these two great cities.

Easyjet is offering a 1GBP flight from Gatwick (with taxes a whopping 6GBP!) It's a great deal, but keep in mind the cost and time involved in getting from central London to Gatwick and from the airport in Edinburgh into town. Cheaper than the train (I just bought super apex saver for late-February, RT, for $32.)but not necessarily quicker when you figure you need to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight. I also enjoy the view from the train.

Do see Edinburgh!

Jan 20th, 2003, 04:50 PM
loved it

Definately go to Edinburgh. Learn the part of history the English don't want you to know.

Jan 20th, 2003, 06:01 PM
ttrainz

I vote for Edinburgh by train, also.
The train will leave from London's Kings Cross mainlime station and in about 4 hours you can be in Edinburgh's Waverly Station.
If you go to thetrainline.com you can look at train schedules and ticket prices.

Jan 21st, 2003, 01:56 PM
Snoopy

Yep, worth it. Skip Glasgow.

Jan 21st, 2003, 06:15 PM
Sandy

Re the plane vs. train question....what do you suggest for 3 adults traveling with 2 sets of clubs and luggage when traveling from Edinburgh to London (actually from St. Andrews to London)? I am having trouble evaluating the expense - time question. I had thought--fly--but then I saw the comment about time in and out of airports....
Thanks, Sandy

Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:05 AM
xxx

Sandy,I would suggest traveling by train. Trains in the UK run so much more frequently and have stations in more towns than we are used to here in the US.
Try this site www.thetrainline for information on schedules and fares, then post here again with further questions.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:43 AM
Mel

Sandy, most of the planes that fly London/Edinburgh are small and very careful about weight restrictions (some only allow a carry-on).

There's plenty of room for luggage storage on the train. Each car has a good-sized section inside the door and there are over-head bins for daypacks, jackets, etc.