Reload this Page >

3 Days in Edinburgh. Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:15 AM
John

My wife and I will be in Edinburgh from May 10 thru 13. Would like to stay in the downtown area. Price range 100GBP. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.<BR>John

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:27 AM
mhs

topping -- same question, just later dates, leaving June 1. @ same price range. Thank you.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Debbie

<BR>We stayed at the Greenside Hotel , just a couple of blocks from the Palace, one direction, and 1/4 mile from Princes street the other way. <BR> Very reasonable, not elaborate but comfy. <BR>Only downside - it is at the top of a hill. going down not a problem - going up late at night - a little steep. We ended up taking a cab home from dinner.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Sheila

Rooms here are normally priced per person rather than per room; I assume you mean per room. <BR><BR>If you argue hard you may get a room at The Macdonald Hollyrood, the Crowne Plaza or the Point.<BR><BR>Or try the Apex in the Grassmarket

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:27 PM
John

Thank you Debbie and Sheila for your help. Most appreciated.<BR>John

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:16 PM
David

I stayed at the previously mentioned Apex International in the Grassmarket in June of 2001. I payed around 80 pounds a night with a weekend promotion. I think I got my weekend special by e-mailing the hotel directly rather than trying to book on-line.<BR><BR>www.apexhotels.com<BR><BR>It is a modern hotel with typical looking, generic hotel rooms. There was a wedding reception one night I was there which was pretty cool. The bagpiper was on the front side walk and the groomsmen wore kilts. Not often you see a wedding party where everyone is in a dress. <BR><BR>It's an excellent location, you step out the doors and look right up at the castle. You can walk up to it when you're fresh in the morning and work your way back down during the day. <BR><BR>The Grassmarket, as far as I know, still contains a book store owned by Clarissa Dixon Wright of &quot;Two Fat Ladies&quot; fame. The hop-on/hop-off bus went through there too.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Siobhan

I stayed at the Apex City beside the international for approx 75-80GBP during the Festival believe it or not. I would reccommend it as well. I got the rate on Laterooms.com and it was cheaper than an overpriced B&amp;B (&pound;90GBP for a B&amp;B). The Apex international is almost the same but the rooms are larger and a bit pricier. They are both nice new hotels very central. Lots of good eats around as well. I am going back again and will stay there this August.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Kimberly

Hi, all!<BR><BR>Just came back from a trip to Edinburgh for Hogmanay...gesh...was sick the whole time...but my stay was more relaxing as I stayed for the second time at Hotel Ritz (Grosvenor Street) just 5 minutes walk down Princes Street and Edinburgh Castle in Haymarket. The Ritz Hotel had this lovely room my friend and I stayed in '98 - we missed it this time - it had a queen size bed in the middle of the room, two twins in opposite corners, a couch, fireplace, dressing table, tea and biscuts, hairdryer, oriental rug, arm chair, mirrors galore, tv...it was like a suite in Hollywood...ALL for 50 quid a night per person!!!! The room I stayed in a few weeks back was smaller but still comfortable...Full Breakfast served, lovely staff...only drawback...no elevator. Check to see if they are taking reservations...at one point last summer the proprietor was expecting to sale, but relented for Hogmanay...Ritz Hotel, 14, 15, and 16 Grosvenor St. P.S. 4.60 pound ride from Waverly Station!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:01 PM
Snoopy

I used to stay at the Roxburghe, and Im pretty sure that it's been rennovated since I was last there in 1998. Good location and reasonably priced.<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:09 PM
Sheila

But NOT in that price range, I fear

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:24 AM
Snoopy

YES it is. You can get a room for 2 at the Roxburghe for $150 / night.