Best Hotel in Edinburgh

Apr 30th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Best Hotel in Edinburgh

Six women will be converging in Edinburgh in August '04 from various (4) U.S. locations to do a weeks hike/walk. We are all 65+ and some will not have had good sleep coming from the western & midwestern US and we would like a bountiful first eve in Edinburgh.....what would you all advise for a generous, hospitable, somewhat luxorious hotel for our first night in Scotland before embarking on our hike? I've seen the fodors Raves -- I'm looking for the personal touch.....tnx,
May 1st, 2004, 12:30 AM

The Balmoral, the Caledonian and the Scotsman, in that order. The Balmoral's on my list of things to do before I die.
May 1st, 2004, 03:53 AM

Whatever your choice, you had better start calling NOW! August is probably the worst of months for hotel availability in Edinburgh. Lots of great stuff going on. You will be very lucky to be find much selection still available.
May 1st, 2004, 05:59 AM

Just stayed at the Balmoral and the bed was very comfortable---yet the room was rather small. I, too, wanted a comfortable room after my journey from the U.S. That is what I got at the Balmoral. The service was also very nice and the concierge very helpful.

The hotel also has (2) computers off the lobby that guests can use which was very nice to let people know that we arrived safely without having to take time out of the trip looking for an internet cafe.

Overall, I recommend the Balmoral...yet, be prepared that the actual bedroom is not that large but the room had a very nice bathroom. Plus, the location of the hotel is very good. Enjoy your trip!
May 1st, 2004, 12:35 PM

You may actually have to take what you can get. The Tattoo and all the festivals totally fill Edinburgh every August.

Almost no hotels in Edinburgh will rent for one night. Most demand a 3 or 4 night minimum and raise their rates -- and are still full the entire month.

So I would NOT be looking for the "best" place - but just looking for ANY place. (It is very late to be planning an August stay in Edinburgh)
May 1st, 2004, 12:42 PM

The Balmoral is the largest and most classical luxury hotel in Edinburgh, run by Sir Rocco, who is one of the industry's most respected and successful hoteliers. The pool is huge, by British standards, and wonderful for a good relax.

The Scotsman I've tried, and indeed liked - it has a stainless steel pool of Italian design, and slightly more individual decor, the crowd here is younger and more "City types" (City as in City of London - the financial heart of the country).

The Caledonian, since being taken over by Hilton is a dump with poor service and food. Don't touch it!

Although I doubt those about to embark on a "hike" would be particularly welcome at any luxury establishment, so if you turn up in full hiking gear which lack any fashion-sense you might experience more than the odd glance and funny look from other patrons as well as staff.
May 1st, 2004, 02:48 PM

We'll be spending one night in Edinburgh ( mid-Sept.) before embarking on our Highland journey, so the hotel advise is useful. Haven't decided which way we'll go yet...the best hotel or just a good B&B, but thanks for the comments, especially M-Kingdom for your detailed descriptions. Most helpful.
May 2nd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help and I will push to get whatever is available -- Re: the Balmoral......esp. Sheila,
Have you seen the remarks at Fodors/Rants & Raves.....very negative. And, to m_kingdom2, I don't think any of us plan to fly in full hiking regalia. No need to worry. Appreciate the all advice; I do not understand why I could not access the responses until today no matter what I tried.
May 2nd, 2004, 03:52 PM

Don't mind M_Kingdom. He loves to be nasty and puts on airs to make up for a troubled childhood and lousy job selling bathroom supplies to 1 star hotels. Not a bad chap really, just trying too hard to get some attention.
May 2nd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Airlawgirl

Cafe, what was in the least nasty about what M Kingdom said? I found it to be very useful and accurate advice-particularly about the hiking regalia. Anyone who knows anything about Edinburgh (and I studied there, among other things) knows what he's saying is true.

May 4th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Well, you are all correct. Friend's travel agent has us in the Roxburghe on Charlotte Sq. the first night; upon our return from The Borders we are in the Carleton on the Royal Mile / all in the $300/night range which may have me bailing out sooner than expected and off to Glasgow -- just responding to confirm the much appreciated info.....but I still wonder why I am unable to plug back into this "Best Hotel in ...." without a battle.