Notices

Edinburgh or Bruges?

Old Dec 16th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh or Bruges?

Please help me make up my mind!

Where would you go for an overnight 2 day trip from London - Edinburgh or Bruges? They both look amazing. I will be in London for 5 days next August so don't have time for both.

Please tell me which one you would pick and why, it will either help me make up my mind or get me more undecided. I have already been to a lot of places in and near London on day trips.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 05:07 PM

August in Edinburgh is THE festival, and a bunch of side festivals. So incredibly mobbed and also super expensive for lodgings - if there are any left.

That time of year - unless you WANT to attend the festival - I would go to Brugge, much as I love Edinburgh.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that - is it all August long?

I have not yet booked flights but will be in UK anytime from late July to end of August.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Thanks for that - is it all August long?
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 06:12 PM

If I had the opportunity to go to Edinburgh during August I would do it. If you have any interest in theater, music, comedy, performances of all kinds, the Festival Fringe has it all, set up in venues all over the city, going all day and night. It is the largest arts festival in the world. There is also a book festival, the Edinburgh International Festival, and the Tattoo. You can find lots of information about it on line, although most schedules are not announced until closer to the date.

If that interests you, you should look for accommodations as soon as possible and see if you can find something suitable.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 06:22 PM

>>If I had the opportunity to go to Edinburgh during August I would do it.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 06:25 PM

The problem with the Tattoo this past August when we saw it was the weather: cold and rain. Really put a damper on things unfortunately. Yes, it happens so be aware.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 08:49 PM
kja

For "an overnight 2 day trip" I, personally, would opt for Bruges -- I think the timing works for that charming little town. I wanted more time than that for Edinburgh, and I wasn't trying to see it during the height of festivities. But it really depends on what YOU want to see and experience!
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 09:08 PM

Bad luck Dukey . . . the night I attended was clear and beautiful. Cool -- but I was dressed for it.

It is sooooooooooooo much more comfortable than the 'old days' because there is comfortable seating (imported from the London Olympics stadium) and the stands are solid so the cold winds don't freeze your backside.

If you had attended before the improvements you would have bee colder and wetter
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 09:26 PM

We were in Edinbrugh during the festival...it was crowded but great fun.

Bruges is much smaller, it can also be very crowded during the day.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 01:37 AM

The weather in Brugge was equally dismal in August. You don't visit these places for the weather.

Brugge can be pretty packed in August, though not quite at Edinburgh levels.

I agree York would be a good alternative, and easier to get to that Brugge, giving more time in the city.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 02:41 AM

I love Edinburgh and agree with much of what has already been said. As a first-time visiter, the Festival and Fringe can make the city overwhelmingly crowded. Fun, but you have to be able to be in the mood for festivities. What I loved about it during this time was how the city was filled with a wonderful energy, as many performers are also out on the street. What I didn't like are the crowds everywhere.

I love Brugge, too, though like others have said, it requires more effort to get there from London.

As an alternative, York is a great suggestion -- and, if you're open to additional suggestions, I'd also add Bath. There's much to see in Bath and also easily accessible from London.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 04:00 AM

Having visited Edinburgh several times outside the festival and loving it - it I would consider going during the festival IF I could get central lodging I like (obviously $ no object) and tickets for what I really want to see/do - including the Tattoo

Caveat: I am a native New Yorker and not bothered by massive crowds; I sometimes even go to Macy's the few days before Christmas - when they have expediters to pull slow customers off the escalators to avoid dangerous pile ups/injuries (although I no longer go to Times Square on New Year;s Eve or the Thanksgiving Parade - due to having to stand for so many hours.

And yes, Brugges can be a little crowded during the day but at night it can be glorious - taking you back to the 15th/16th centuries.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 05:03 AM

Festival time in Edinburgh is a once-in-a-lifetime experience albeit somewhat exhausting and expensive. If you want to take the opportunity just do it.

If you prefer two quieter days and if you have only two days (including or excluding travelling time?) I do not know if I would spend so much time for travelling to Brugge. Oxford and Bath are also two historical cities with much shorter train rides from London and you can easily combine both within two days.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 06:16 AM

Received 61 Likes on 6 Posts
Brugge can be pretty packed in August, though not quite at Edinburgh levels.

I tend to disagree; Brugge is much smaller and - to me, anyway, feels extremely congested. While Edinburgh is very busy during the festival (and really it's mainly the Fringe that packs the crowds; the "big" Festival has fewer performances) the city is big enough to permit getting away from the worst of it if you want. You can visit Cramond or Queensferry, walk past thatched-roof Swanston village into the Pentland Hills, walk along the Water of Leith through the Dean Village, or through the Botanics to the Inverleith House museum... Accommodation is pricey during August, but Brugge isn't exactly the bargain basement either.

I do like the idea of York, although, like Brugge, it too will be very crowded in August, and suffers from the same issues - small city core, many people.

Just as an alternative, a couple of other places to look at, easily reached from London -

Durham: Amazing cathedral and castle, picturesque medieval town tumbling down the hillside from the cathedral, easy train access from London. It will be much less crowded than Brugge or York (or Bath for that matter.)

Amsterdam: Yes, it's a bit bigger than Edinburgh, but easily navigated and full of fabulous sights and experiences. You can fly there in an hour for something like £60- £80 return (probably cheaper than the train) and the airport is 10 minutes by train from the canals, flower market, museums, parks...

Just a thought.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 07:46 AM

Take Gardyloo's advice above and go to Amsterdam. 2 days isn't enough but it will give you a taste and a desire to visit again. We were in both Amsterdam and Bruges this past August... have been to Amsterdam many times and love it. We found Bruges pleasant but underwhelming. It was fine but we are unlikely to return.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 05:40 PM

Have you been to London before? Five days isn't much for that city by itself.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been to Edinburgh many times but Bruges only once for one night. I also have been to Edinburgh for the Tattoo. I don't mind crowds but prefer Edinburgh without the Festival, Fringe and Tattoo. So with my experience, I'd go with Bruges. I would have liked to have been there longer as the day I was there, the rain was very heavy but the next day was so sunny it looked so pretty but I had to miss it so another day would have been good.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 11:08 PM

Definitely Endinburgh. You should book ticket from LD to Endinburgh from now to have the cheap ticket or you can access megabus website which offers supper cheap tickets. If you are lucky, you can get 1 pound for train ticket
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 10:45 PM

I think, given it's August, you need to choose between Festivals or Bruges. If you want the buzz, go to Edinburgh. If you want to mooch around taking in the sites, people watching, museums, history (all of which is still there in Edinburgh in August, but buried under mountains of performances of all sorts, and their audiences), go to Bruges.

Plus if you decide on Edinburgh, book your room NOW!