Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh to Portree - too far in one day? Also pre-book in August?

Notices

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are in the early planning stages of a trip to Scotland (we live in the UK). Have booked accommodation in Edinburgh and flights. We have 9 nights in late August.

Two questions for you knowledgeable Fodors people:

We are hiring a car and were thinking of driving from Edinburgh to Portee on Skye for 2 nights. We are used to driving long distances at home (Australia) but realistically, how long would this take? The web says 5 hours.

Also, apart from Edinburgh it would be nice to be a bit flexible but it seems accommodation is heavily booked already. Would winging it be madness?

Thoughts so far are:
Edinburgh 3 nights
Skye 2 nights
Inverness 2 nights (visit Culloden)
Stirling 1 night (castle and Falkirk wheel)

Thanks for any help.
Kay
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh and Skye will be heavily booked in August. Edinburgh because of the Festivals and Military Tattoo and Skye because it is exceptionally popular and has limited bed space.
For August think about staying in or near Stirling and then you could take the train (30 minutes) directly into Edinburgh City Centre for either one or two days. This should save you money, as although you will have extra train fares it should still be far cheaper for good accommodation as Edinburgh during the festival etc is very expensive.
It is also a shorter drive from Stirling to Skye and this also saves you having to drive in Edinburgh -especially during August.

I am sure that you could in the main wing the other days and find a B & B for the night when and where it suits.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Edinburgh in August

Tattoo
Festival
Fringe Festival
Arts Festival
Jazz & Blues Festival
TV Festival
Film Festival
Book Festival
Festival of Spirituality and Peace

It gets somewhat busy with tourists & performers booking accommodation a year in advance
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks but we have already booked Edinburgh.

What do you think about the drive from Edinburgh to Skye? How long would it take?

Kay
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Count on at least 7 or 8 hours. It is over 300 miles and much of it on roads where you cannot overtake caravans/coaches.

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I would agree with Janisj that it could take between 6 - 8 hours, depending on traffic, the route you take and the time it takes getting out of Edinburgh.
I think that janisj mileage is out as I would say that it is between 250km - 300km rather than miles.
I am sure that you will enjoy Edinburgh during Festival time but be prepared for longer queues at popular attractions / events.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM

It's about 250 miles and will take about 6 hours
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Skye is indeed wonderful and one of my favorite places, but there is plenty of beautiful Scotland to see that's a lot closer and more convenient than Skye.

Have a look at the The Borders which is close to Edinburgh. Stirling and the surrounding area including the Trossachs or the East Neuk villages would also be a good choice.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM

It's 235 miles and would take me 4 1/2 hours- you, maybe 5 1/2 (it's just, I'm used to the roads.)

If it were me, I'd stay an extra night in Edinburgh and do Stirling castle and the Falkirk Wheel en route to Skye.

I also wouldn't stay in Inverness. You can EASILY day trip Culloden from Skye.

And you can go without hotel bookings oustide Edinburgh, unless there's somewhere you especially want to stay.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this info. We didn't particularly want to stay in Inverness but do want to visit Culloden. I hadn't thought of a day trip from Skye.

We have thought of reversing our trip, going from Edinburgh to Inverness, on to Skye, on to Stirling then back to Edinburgh to fly out. Distances seem more manageable that way but will look at the day trip to Culloden idea. We certainly prefer staying for longer in each place if possible and doing day trips.

Kay
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM

My sister and I will be in Portree for two nights in the middle of May. We're trying to decide between Rosedale Hotel and Royal Hotel. (Note: Rosedale has offered us a room in their "annex" 75 yards from the actual hotel. If anyone knows what that means, we'd like to know that as well.)
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM

When a hotel offers an annex, it usually means they've added space next to or near the orginal building. Sometimes the 'annex' can be nicer since it's generally newer but don't assume that it will be. I'm sorry I haven't stayed at the Rosedale so can't offer an evaluation.

You could email them requesting further information regarding their annex.