edinburgh millitary tattoo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be in edinburgh this august and are considering going to the tatto. is it worthwhile, even if we cannot afford expensive seats? are their other performances you would recommend instead?
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 05:35 AM

It's a great show, if you can get tickets. We saw it from great seats facing the castle, and loved it even though it rained hard throughout the whole performance.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 05:55 AM

<i>are their other performances you would recommend instead? </i>

There's a few other shows on that you might be interested in

https://www.edfringe.com/
http://www.eif.co.uk/
https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/
http://www.edinburghartfestival.com/
http://www.edinburgh-mela.co.uk/
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 06:18 AM

There is no other comparable performance provided you like the spectacle and sound of massed military bands.
You may be able to catch the highlights broadcast on TV if you don't catch it live (there are some clips on BBC and Utube websites)

What else do you want to consider Edinburgh has a huge variety?
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 06:40 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to give you a slightly different opinion and I hope I don't get slammed.

If you can go, even at a lower priced ticket, than I think you should go. I believe you if can see something at least once in your life, go for it. You do not need to face the castle to really expereince it.

Now with it being worthwhile, that to me is open for debate. We had tickets facing the castle so I guess the most expensive. I also got tickets to go behind the scenes. I figured, I'm only going once so why not? It was very cold out (you could see your breath when you spoke) but it did not rain however the day before and day after it poured so we lucked out there. As to the performace, I understand what it is about. My area has something similar which I personally think is better. No offense to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity but I don't ever need to see it again.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much to all of you!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>is it worthwhile, even if we cannot afford expensive seats?<<

There are no bad seats so book whatever you can afford. But it is very late to be booking now - so get on it ASAP.

Do you already have your accommodations in Edinburgh? That should also be nailed down as early as possible.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Great show! Go if you can find tickets. We saw it in pouring rain and it was still worth it. Just be prepared with waterproof clothing, shoes, umbrella. We had heavy duty plastic garbage bags that we pulled up over our feet and legs which kept us cozy and dry.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 11:53 AM

>>Just be prepared with waterproof clothing, shoes, umbrella<<

A couple of the times I've attended umbrellas were not allowed -- have they changed the rules?
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 12:41 PM

They were barred last year - there isn't the space to open an umbrella in the stands and if you did someone else would get soaked
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 01:17 PM

The Tattoo Festival was a major highlight of our trip. We sat facing the castle. It was great because there was a projection show being shown on the castle during the festival. It was an added aspect that we had not known about. I highly recommend it. It looks like there are still seats...don't procrastinate.

https://etickets.edintattoo.co.uk/WE...atesCombo.aspx
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 01:26 PM

Glad to hear umbrellas are now banned.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 01:28 PM

I really liked it, also, when I was there it wasn't raining. It was cool, though, it had been a rather cool August, but just wore a raincoat/parka or something.

There isn't anything comparable to it or like it, so if you go to something else instead, it will just be a totally different choice.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 02:13 PM

>>Glad to hear umbrellas are now banned<<

I don't think is is 'recent' or 'now'. I first attended the Tattoo about 30 years ago and umbrellas were not allowed. I've been 5 or 6 times but only twice was wet weather an issue.

It appears the rules have always been the same.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM

I've been twice. My parents once, with me, and they loved it. So did I. The rest of my family had no interest in going a second time, much less a third time this year. (I may try to go by myself, but that's not so much fun.) There really isn't any accounting for taste, but I think once for sure.