Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh - Distance From Train Station to Castle

Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

We are going to be staying a few days in Stirling and want to take the train to Edinburgh for a day trip. I was just wondering how far it is from the train station in Edinburgh to the Castle and the Royal Mile. Is it walkable? Is there more than one station, and if so which one should we get off at?

Thanks for any comments.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:24 PM

cslasor,

There are two main stations - Haymarket & Waverley. Waverley is the best for your purposes as it's only a very short walk to the Royal Mile from there.

Jim
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM

Turn to the left when you walk out onto the street from the station and behold the castle a couple hundred yards from your eyeballs. The station was built on land that formerly constituted a loch that served as a de facto moat for the Old Town.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:49 PM

After you turn left, keep walking to the intersection where there is a mini roundabout. Cross straight over the road to Cockburn Street, which is quite steep. It brings you out on the High Street. Turn right and walk as far as you can go and you're at the Castle.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:35 AM

10 minutes should do it. 5 if you're in a hurry
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Alternatively, what you may wish to do if you've got a day, is take one of the hop-on hop-off open-top bus tours which stop at the Castle amongst other sights, and which give you a good overview of the Old and New Towns. There are several companies running these & I think Guide Friday is the best, as I believe it's the only one with a live guide. All of the tours stop on Waverley Bridge - on the other side of the road & slightly to your right when you exit Waverley Station.

If you are going to walk, I wouldn't follow Barbara's route (sorry Barbara !) - Cockburn Street takes you further away from the Castle. Instead, at the mini roundabout, turn right on to Market Street and then either turn left up the News Steps (steep) to St Giles St & then forward to the RM, or keep on up to the top of Market Street, cross the Mound, then up Mound Place and Ramsay Lane which brings you out on the RM right in front of the Castle.
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

I like the bus tour idea - I hadn't even thought of that. We didn't want to drive in Edinburgh (we're really not City People) so taking a train and walking seemed like a good idea. But taking a train and hopping on a bus seems like a better idea! I will certainly check it out.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:09 AM

As you've no doubt gleaned from the previous responders, the Castle is not at all far from from either or Edinburgh's train stations but do keep in mind that Edinburgh is a very hilly city - which is good for finding your way around - just get to the top and you can see all over - but can be problematic for the elderly or others with walking problems. Another option to consider is maybe take a taxi from the train stion to the castle (which as you will immediately see is at the top of an extinct volcano, just like Stirling), and walk down the Royal Mile from there - it's downhill from that point. You will pass a lot of other interesting sites on the way down including St. Giles Cathedral (stop in and see where my great-grandfather was baptized!) and will end up at the Palace of Holyroodhouse at the other end of the Royal Mile. From there it's not a bad walk back to the train station, or a short taxi ride.