Edinburgh Accomodations

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh Accomodations

First timers to Scotland would like to hear opinions about The George Hotel in Edinburgh. We have reservations for 6 nights and don't mind paying a little extra if it is conveniently located and special.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Depends on when you are going. At present and for the foreseeable future (2010) it is in the middle of traffic diversions as the nearby Princes Street is closed to traffic due to ongoing work to install a tram system. All the buses are now being diverted along George Street and cars along Queen Street and that has brought chaos and increased noise. Although that Hotel has been renovated over recent years I would say that there are now better options e.g. the Radisson or the newly completed Missoni Hotel, both on the Royal Mile.
Due to the traffic problems I personally would keep clear of Princes Street as well as the upper New Town area. George Street is now the in place for the bars, clubs and night life but it can also be the street most affected by trouble and drunken fights during the night.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. This is EXACTLY the type of thing I wish to avoid!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM

If it's on the Royal Mile or close to it, stay there. 3 years ago, I stayed at the Radisson Hotel on the Royal Mile. I paid a bit more for it, but the convenience to just about everything was worth it. It's almost smack, dab in the middle, so you can walk just about everywhere. Up to walk up to Edinburgh Castle (passing wonderful shops) or down to Holyrood Castle (amazing) and Holyrood Park (you have to climb to the top of the hill, if not for the excercise, the view).

The train station is about a 10 minute walk away, so you can venture out to the countryside. Make sure to go to Stirling Castle and the William Wallace monument, if you have time.

Unless you're into massive crowds, I hope you aren't going during the Royal Tattoo.

Have fun!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM

One more thing, compared to the size of the rooms in London, the rooms at the Radisson were a good size larger. The staff was great, the rooms clean and the lounge in the lobby was a great place to chill. And I loved their little green soaps! So much so, that I gave the maid a few extra pounds and I came home with about a dozen rounds of them!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM

I stayed there last year and the rooms are decent size by European standards. Service was good, check in straightforward, furnishing and amenities what I would expect of a decent four star hotel. Its not particularly handy for the Royal Mile but is very good for the New Town, Rose Street and Princes Street. It's also

As Meks said, traffic is heavy along George Street, although I did find the sound proofing in the rooms to be very good, and there are a host of bars and night clubs opposite the hotel. I only stayed there a couple of nights, Friday and Saturday but would have quite happily stayed longer.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Blacknight: "<i>If it's on the Royal Mile or close to it, stay there.</i>" The hotel is nowhere near the Royal Mile. . . . .

offtoscotland: the George is a very nice property, but the construction on Princes St will be pretty disruptive for any hotel in that part of the new town. Between the construction on Princes St and the diversions on other roads -- Many hotels/street are being impacted.

I do have one suggestion - IMO 6 days is a long time in a hotel. Two - maybe three days, fine. But for several days you can have more space and spend less if you rent an apartment. There are some terrific rental apartments in Edinburgh - on the Royal mile and in other good locations.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Would agree with janisj that six nights in any hotel is a long time and I would presently also go for an apartment in the Castle / Royal Mile area.

Have a look at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...nd-Hotels.html as that will give you some information on speciality lodgings including apartments / serviced accommodation
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. Glad I asked!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:33 AM

I stay in the George quite regularly, and, IMHO, it's massively improved.

The tram works, depending on which phase they're in, can be beneficial. There have been huge chunks of time when there's been no traffic at all. I've never had aroom at the front, and have never heard street noise.

The rooms at the back, facing north, on the top floor, are the best I've stayed in in the city. I've not stayed in the Missoni yet.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM

janisj, I was looking at the Google map of Edinburgh as my reference. You know how things look closer on a map. LOL Anyhow, I stayed at the Radisson for 3 nights and just loved it. As I said, very convenient to everything.

offtoscotland, I hope you have agreat time and wonderful weather, as I did!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM

We stayed at the Radisson SAS Hotel in May for several days and highly recommend it.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies - we found an apartment in the Grassmarket area and I think we will be pleased.