Reload this Page >

Edinburgh-A place to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:09 PM
KB

Can anyone recommend a B&B or hotel to stay in Edinburgh? Something under 100 pounds per night would be great, and if it's within walking distance from major sights. We are going in August which I know is the very busy time of year due to the Fringe Festival.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:42 PM
janis

How many nights? In Edinburgh the International Festival, Fringe Festival and Tattoo are all in August and the size of the city triples. So many B&Bs now require a 4 night minimum. One favorite is Castle View - It is the best located B&B in the city. But it has a down side because it is on the upper floors of a georgian bldg and there is no elevator. Do a text search and you will find a LOT of threads about this and other places in Edinburgh.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Michael

Stewart House was great!!! Very clean, 60-90 pounds I think and less than a mile from Princess Street. Great breakfast. About 10 rooms, arrived via train from London, went to the Visitor Center right outside the station and got the room.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Ani

Karen..we will be staying in Edi March 27 and 28 at 16 Lynedoch place<BR>http://www.scotlandovernight.co.uk/othersites/lynedoch/tour.html<BR>which came highly recommended and then at the end of our trip at A-Haven <BR>http://www.a-haven.co.uk/<BR>Will let you know how they are but I'm sure you will need to book long before...<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Siobhan

I stayed at the Castle View 3 years ago and I would also reccommend. As well I booked a hotel on Laterooms.com for a room during the Festival. My friend was getting Married the first Day of the festival and The wedding was in theApex International. It was too expensive for us so we stayed at the Apec city next door for &pound;70.00. It was cheaper than the B&amp;B I had booked and in the Grassmarket. <BR><BR>I would book a B&amp;B that is central now and have a look at the late room site &amp; cancel in advance if you find a better deal even closer to the festival. The Apex City was great as we had a view of the Castle and could see the fireworks from the Tatoo by our window.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:15 AM
kitty

There are two Castle View's. The one I stayed at and highly recommend is the Castle View Guest House. Do a search on this site to get my and other's comments.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:41 AM
helping

Actually there is a Castle View Guest House and a Castle Guest House, both being on Castle street. Not two Castle View's. Castle View is the better of the two, however Castle is OK too.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:43 AM
John

Hi Karen,<BR><BR>You might want to consider the Elmwood B&amp;B. Recommended to me last year and was a super choice.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 01:47 PM
kb

Ani: Let me know what 16 lynedoch place is like. I would appreciate it.<BR><BR>Siobhan and Kitty: I inquired regarding Castle View guest house, and they will not take reservations for less than 4 days in August.<BR><BR>John: I'll look into the Elmwood B&amp;B. Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it.