Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh B&B / Hotel Recommendations for 100 pounds or less?

Apr 7th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Hello, I was wondering if any of you have recommendations for accomodations in Edinburgh that are centrally located (we would like to stay somewhere from which you can reach most of the major sites by foot). I tried 16 Lynedoch Place based on the recommendation of someone on the board, but they were full. We will be there May 22-24th. I was trying to stay within 90-100 pounds per night. Thanks for the help!
Andy
Apr 7th, 2004, 08:45 AM

when we went we stayed at the Point Hotel. It was really nice - quite modern. We had the suite that overlooked the castle which was fantastic. There's also a lovely bar and restaurant in the hotel, and it's within walking distance of Princes Street and the Castle. I can't remember how much it was, but I remember that it was reasonable. Their website is http://www.point-hotel.co.uk/
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:48 AM

We (3 ladies about 60) stayed at Hotel Bereford in Mar 01, details here: http://www.beresford-edinburgh.com/index.html

This is more a B&B than hotel and is right around the corner from where the airport shuttle picks up/lets off and also within walking distance of Princes St.

We paid about 67 euros/night for a triple in 01 but their website shows the prices to be almost the same. The owners (Donald and Agnes) were going to put us in one of the upstairs rooms (no elevator) but when he saw us and all our luggage, he felt sorry for us and gave us the only downstairs room. (Or maybe he felt sorry for himself thinking about helping us with our bags up the stairs!)

Our room was very pretty, big and had a double and two twin beds, coffee/tea service w/cookies, TV, phone, hair dryer, bath w/shower, and our room overlooked his backyard. It was decorated very nicely in peach tones. A big breakfast was included in the price.

Donald and family were very friendly and helpful . . . he called us his "American Cousins."

This is a GREAT place to stay.

Hope this helps,
Sandy (in Denton)
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, both look very interesting. I will see if they have availability. Thanks again!
Apr 8th, 2004, 04:07 AM

We usually stay in the Grass Market. I got a rate on the Apex city (not the International next door) for approx 90-100 the past few times I was there. Its a nice modern hotel and handy for the castle and Royal Mile.

Check out some posts from other who stayed in the Princes street area. I stayed on Castle street I think at the Castle Inn B&B. Lots of steps to climb but a good rate too.
Apr 8th, 2004, 05:05 AM

We loved the Castle View Guest House. Great location, great price, and great owners. Do a search for many positive responses.
Apr 8th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Mel's pal has the Dunedin Guest House which is very good. I find the Apexes pretty good too. I like the hotel at haymarket better than the Grassmarket one but the Grassmarket location is better.
Apr 8th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. One other question, is the Haymarket area nice/convenient? I am also seeing a lot of places near Leith walk I believe it is called?
Apr 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM

I too am looking for a B&B in Edinburgh and just checked the Point Hotel website and they aren't taking reservations until 8/4/2004. Not sure why or if it's a bug, but I can't even check rates on it. Hopefully other establishments will have capacity.
Apr 8th, 2004, 03:10 PM
KT

Jgee, not to worry, today is 8/4/2004. In Europe, the day is written before the month, so that's April 8th.
Apr 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM

oh my goodness, I am so embarassed! Thanks and I'll try again
Apr 8th, 2004, 04:06 PM

The B&B Sheila referred to is The Dunedin Guest House. It really is a wonderful place. Great location, beautiful historic home, big rooms with en suite baths, excellent cooked-to-order breakfast.

The owner is Marsella Bowen and the Web site is www.dunedinguesthouse.co.uk.
Apr 9th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Haymarket is 10-15 minutes walk from the west end of Princes Street. Not hugely convenient but not the end of the earth either.

Leith Walk is at the other end, about as far away.
Apr 9th, 2004, 07:13 AM
mnc

Last year I stood at the Hanover Hotel, in Rose Street. It was a simple, yet comfortable hotel, and situated just back of Princes Street. The staff were young and really nice, and the hotel had a nice pub attached.