Search

Eating in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eating in Paris

We are staying at the following hotel in Paris and have never been to Paris. We would love to know if anyone knows the area and can help with local restaurants. I see some other postings, but do not know where they are compared to this hotel.

If you have any other words of wisdom that always helps!!

Hôtel du Rond Point des Champs-Elysées

10 rue de Ponthieu

75008 PARIS

Julielynn
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
On handy thing to know about Paris that I learned here on Fodors, is that the last two digits of that 'zip code' is the arrondisement number. So I can tell you are staying "in the 8th".
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM

A little more precise than just the arrondisement: you can type that address into Google (use \10 rue de ponthieu, 75008 paris, france), and the click the Map tab on the results, and see EXACTLY where it is.

If you then click the "Find Businesses" link, you'll get a box into which you can type the word "restaurant". Bingo, a whole list of them. I have no idea if any of them are any good or not, but it's a place to start. There are reviews for some, but they are in French (use the Google translator to get an idea).

The closest listed are Village Ung et Li Lam (Thai food), Elysees Bonheur, Malaret Bernard, and Le Mikado, all of which are half a block from the hotel, and Rooseveltdis, 15 Matignon, P D G (American style hamburgers and hot dogs), Hippopotamus Hippo Club (!), and Spicy Restaurant ("all the flavors of the world&quot which are barely further away. There are 25,075 other restaurants in the neighborhood (you're a block off the Champs-Elysees); I don't think you'll starve!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM

We have been to Le Petit Pontoise on Rue Pontoise not far from Notre Dame. It is very small and you need a reservation but the food is excellent, and their wine choices were very nice as well. They speak English, French and Spanish and we always enjoy our dinners there. Enjoy!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Frierf999,

Thank you so much for telling us about that Google feature. I have been messing around with the map function of Google for some time, but never noticed the search for businesses feature. I have been using Pagesjaunes, of course, but the Google thing is so handy!

We will be on the Rue Broca, near Rue Moffetard, for a couple of weeks in October, and I'm already picking out restaurants.

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:14 AM

Léon de Bruxelles are a popular chain of restaurants in Paris and their Mussels in "cocotte" are fabulous. I've tried most of their specialities, olive oil, curry, cream and it is certainly worth checking out. http://www.travel--guide.org/Paris
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:14 AM

Léon de Bruxelles are a popular chain of restaurants in Paris and their Mussels in "cocotte" are fabulous. I've tried most of their specialities, olive oil, curry, cream and it is certainly worth checking out.

http://www.travel--guide.org/Paris
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:25 AM

On the Ave. Montaigne (other side of the Champs) is one of my favorite casual restaurants in Paris, the Bar des Theatres, open 365 days a year and serves from about 7 am til midnight. Great French comfort food and if you want to try steak tartare, theirs is reputedly among the best in town. I eat there several times a year. Across the street from the Theatre des Champs Elysees. Friendly staff, lots of good buzz, very informal.
A snootier alternative is L'Avenue, lots of posing fashionistas there, but still kind of fun.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Thanks for the google map info - I never knew about that either and have a whole new toy for the day now!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:47 AM

I would suggest the Restaurant De La Tour at 6, rue Desaix,75015. The service and food was excellent. The restaurant is run by a man and his wife. He cooks, she serves, simply amazing.