Easyjet Scares Me !!!!!

Mar 8th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Easyjet Scares Me !!!!!

Re Rome to Geneva - you all kindly pointed me in the right direction regarding using Easyjet - and yes they are unbelievably cheap. But here in Australia we had a TV show called Airport (or something similar) regarding an airport in England where the easyjets fly out from, to their European destinations.

But man! they seemed to overbook every flight - would leave passengers waiting for 24 hours for the next flight etc - mega drama!! One poor fellow who wanted to pay cash for his ticket was told that they only accepted credit cards - the poor guy didn't have a credit card but after much discussion to 'head office' they accepted his cash. Gee where I come from it is against the law to refuse legal tender i.e. cash.

So my travel agent will book the flight for me but has anyone experienced any difficulties regarding Easyjet or are there any tips I need to be aware of to avoid any unpleasantness.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate that this is a budget type airline and that's what I'm expecting but by the same token if it's all too difficult maybe it isn't worth it?

So the pitfalls of flying Easyjet - please???
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Those shows always go for sensationalism. If they were to film the EasyJet scenarios that occurred when I took several flights with them, or when almost everyone else takes flights with them, they would have the most boring television show imaginable.

You don't have to worry about paying by cash. Just buy the tickets online with a credit card.
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:37 PM

I have flown once and found it fine.
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:49 PM

I liked Easyjet a lot - they were very friendly and helpful - no scariness at all.
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:54 PM

hello fellow aussie:

Easyjet is great. And frankly, I have been messed around a whole lot more by airlines that I have paid huge airfares for (and who also overbook each flight) than this very efficient and friendly (and cheap!) one.
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM

All airlines routinely over-book every flight. Get there early and fly or sit around acting silly obsessing about something you can easily avoid.

And we thought you Aussies were sensible...duh!
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:29 PM

I flew Easy Jet from London to Barcelona round trip last Dec. It was fine other than late arrivals (1 hr. there and 20 min back).
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:33 PM

I was so scared that I did not book my Geneve - Gatwick trip in June until last month.
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:48 PM

I flew from London to Edinburgh on EasyJet last year. No problems. Nice airline.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Nicol - my fellow aussie Fodorite - not sure if this is appropriate to disclose - but Nicol was my maiden name - are you from Queensland by any chance?
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid 1 we Aussies have been called many things - witty, adventurous, carefree, courageous, laid back and of course we are ALL good looking but sensible - ummmm I'm gonna have to think about that one.
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:42 PM

There aren't any pitfalls in flying Easyjet - unless you're the kind of total wuss the BBC just loves to find.

But using a travel agent?

Now that really terrifies me.
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:52 PM

"...we Aussies have been called many things - witty, adventurous, carefree, courageous, laid back and of course we are ALL good looking..."

Like the children of Lake Wobegone, perhaps? Whatever, I don't fit the profile. I suppose I'll just have to migrate to a country that appreciates unadventurous, boring, homely nervous nellies who start telling jokes at parties and then forget the punchline.

Any takers?
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

We still appreciate you Neil!!!
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:11 AM

I second flanneruk's concern about using a travel agent, certainly for EasyJet. There's absolutely nothing he or she can do for you in this case that you cannot. EasyJet and the other budget airlines were specifically set up to cut out travel agents.

Just go to the site, find the fare you want, and go through the screens, entering accurate information as you go.

Then you get a alphanumeric code and an email confirmation, and that's all you need.

By all means post if you are concerned about transport to/from a particular European airport, or the best airport, etc. Other than for exceptional cases, your travel agent is unlikely to know as much as the collective knowledge of Fodorites about these particular topics.
Mar 9th, 2005, 01:16 AM

And it wasn't a BBC programme, actually, but an independent competitor for their series on Heathrow. Quite why Easyjet thought it would be a good advert for them I don't know, though for what it's worth the only Easyjet flight I've taken was perfectly OK. For short flights, I've never understood the need for pre-assigned seats and guaranteed inflight catering.
Mar 9th, 2005, 04:06 AM

I am wary of using Easyjet & Ryanair since I read a newspaper article investigating what they do if something goes wrong. If your flight is cancelled, they will not put you up in a hotel or anything - you are just expected to hang around the airport until they can fly you (to somewhere which may be miles from your original destination). The worst aspect seemed to be if you booked 2 flights which should connect : if you miss the connection, *even if it's their fault*, you are on your own & have to buy another ticket.

So I certainly wouldn't use them for a journey involving 2 flights (which I nearly always need, from Scotland). You *should* be OK with only 1 flight - I've used each of them once & they were OK except delayed.

Whenever I look up their fares, they are in any case never any cheaper than the full service airlines by the time I've added on all the taxes etc. Maybe I just don't book early enough; but I fly EDI-LHR several times a year, always check all the options, & Easyjet & Ryanair are usually as or more expensive; plus they fly to less convenient airports.
Mar 10th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Maybe the secret to the cheaper fares is booking early. In November, I planned to go to Paris in February- round trip flight on Easyjet from Paris to Berlin was $50 round trip. My mother became ill and I cancelled my Paris trip, but watched the fares from Paris to Berlin almost double as it got closer to February.
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:01 PM

Booking early makes a big difference.

I just now booked the EasyJet legs for my summer trip.

Total cost comparison for August 24, excluding booking fee:
AMS-LGW on EasyJet for two people is 54 Euros
AMS-LHR on BMI for two people is 135 Euros

Cost comparison for August 29:
LGW-MAD on EasyJet for two people is 56 pounds.
LHR-MAD on BMI for two people is 110 pounds.

Both airlines have a small additional booking fee, but EasyJet only charged me for one fee, as I was able to book these two flights at once. BMI would have required two fees.

We would take the tube to/from Heathrow if I had chosen BMI, so I'm stuck with some additional expense to get out to Gatwick. But I definitely come out ahead with EasyJet vs. BMI. And I find LGW to be a less-delayed, calmer airport than LHR.

(I also booked MAD-AMS on August 19 on Transavia, which has no real competitor. That was 118 Euros for two people. I still can't complain about the cost, though.)
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Ok so we are booked for our October flight from Rome to Geneva. At 30 euros I'm really rapped with the price.
We plan to arrive early, hopefully avoiding any problems.

Thanks for all the info - you'll all be pleased to know that I am now officially 'over it'!!!