Greece in early October??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking about going to Greece for our honeymoon during the first week of October. So far, we're thinking Athens, Mykonos and Santorini. Is the weather decent? What should we expect? Do most hotels have their rooftops and pools closed? thank you!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:14 AM

We spent Oct 2-16 in Greece several years ago and the weather was perfect every day except one. This was our only trip to Greece thus far but based on our conversations with locals while there I believe we got the norm. The great thing about October is there are very few tourists, relatively speaking, in places like Mykonos. We swam nearly every day. The highlight of our trip was 4 days and nights spent on a sailing trip based out of Hania, Crete. I would highly recommend adding such a component to your honeymoon - sailing on the Aegean is truly magical!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM

My experience of early October was mixed. The days were sunny and mostly warm except when the winds kicked up. I was able to swim with no problem, however. The water was still warm. The nights were consistently windy and sometimes chilly, so take a light jacket just in case. As RSSmith has said, the tourist population is low, but that also means that many of the businesses on the islands will either be closed or in the process of shutting down. If the hotel is still open and if it has a pool and/or a rooftop terrace, they'll be available.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:02 PM

yes, Lee is correct in what he says. For beginning of October, first week, Mykonos is quiet but many feel it is best time to visit.

Daytime is warm and sunny but there is usally some winds in the night time which mean that you will eat inside restuarant not outside. Also, some restaurants may not have full menu as second week in October many close so they run stock down.

Pools at Mykonos hotels will be open of course and good news is plenty of space to relax there and no problem getting sunbeds. Not so many guests.

Hotel rates on this island will also be very good as is low season.

Trips to Delos still run when you will be here.

If you have more questions about the island please let me know.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM

Over the last few years we have had several late breaks in various parts of Greece (including Santorini) late September and early October. Our experience had been very good, the weather hot enough for the beach, though not as unbearably hot as the summer (average about 25C), the sea still warm enough to swim and the advantage of fewer crowds. Most tourist resorts should have everything open until mid October, many staying open until after the UK school half-term break in the second half of October. We've come to expect perhaps half a days thunderstorm which usually disapears as quick as it comes, leaving lovely sunshine for the rest of the time.