Greece in August or October?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:19 PM
Chryso

Greece in August or October?

Both me and my husband have heavy workloads. We're planning a 2-week trip to Greece, but the only times we can get off of work are the first two weeks in August or the first two weeks in October.
We plan on staying in Athens, Chios, and Santorini.
Family members who have visited Greece warn us against August--both the heat and tourism are at their peak and supposedly, people who live in Athens escape to the cooler islands at this time.
But do we want to visit Greece in October? We want to enjoy the beach and eating at outdoor cafes at night, as well as daily excursions. Will it be too cold? Will people be indoors? Has anyone visited in either August or October? Did you enjoy yourselves?
Thanks for any advice.

Apr 24th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Paige

We spent the first 2 weeks of October there a few years ago. IMO, it wasn't warm enough to swim in the sea although some people did. During the day we wore shorts and also sometimes in the evening. The only time I remember being cold was in the middle of the night on a ferry. We thought it was a great time to go!

Apr 24th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Sheila

Totally agree with Paige. And you can easily swim at that time of year. We've done it a couple of times

Apr 24th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Thyra

We spent the month of OCtober in Greece 2000. Highly recommendable, we did swim in the see and in a hotel pool on Santorini. Temp's ranged from Warm, to mindly warm, hot, to rain... so there you go. But it was nice not to fight the summer crowds. Have a great time.

Apr 25th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Chryso

Thanks! I feel better now.

Apr 25th, 2002, 10:24 AM
elina

Definitely October! I have been in Greece twice in October and many times in spring and June. And fortunately ONLY ONCE in August... And that was last year. We swore that it was the first and last time. Places that are great in spring and June, and also October, were swarming with people. Masses of them. Plus it was suffocatingly hot.

October holidays have both been great. Water has been warm (many degrees over +20°C), and days sunny and still warm. but not hot. Waiters and hotel staff a bit tired, and some places starting to close, but still SO MUCH BETTER THAN AUGUST.

Apr 25th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Dianne

I'm so happy to hear these responses too! I'm hoping to visit Greece in mid-October.