Reload this Page >

brand names immitation bags

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:19 PM
shopper

Hi,<BR><BR>Two years ago I went to Europe and I bought some fine handbags (immitation of Fendi, Louis Vuitton, etc.) in Venice, Florence and Rome. It was being sold in the streets. Their quality was very good and they were really cheap.<BR>Do you know if it keeps happening? Since I am going on vacation to Italy, I would like to know if I can buy some more bags.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Shopper

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:17 PM
xxx

Why would anyone want a fake Fendi bag?. Stay home and spend your vacation dollars buying cheap crap at walmart...

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:47 AM
kavey

Fake branded bags are certainly being sold in Venice.<BR><BR>They started at 50 Euros and dropped to less than 10 Euros within a minute. I still didn't want it but it was fun haggling and I did feel bad for the ladies I overheard agreeing prices of 30 or 40 Euros for same bag.<BR><BR>They REALLY mark it up on their first price, it's not just a case of starting at half the stated price with your haggling but starting at the bottom...<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 02:18 AM

Did you buy the bag from someone selling them on the street on a tarp or blanket on the ground?<BR>I saw these 'sellers' on the streets when I was in Venice.<BR>These individuals that I am referring to are not licensed to be selling their 'products'. If a police officer was in sight, you can be sure that they would take off as fast as they could.<BR>So, you are taking a risk in many ways by buying from these vendors.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Kavey

I didn't buy a bag, but the vendors were selling on sheets on the ground and yes they were selling illegally.<BR><BR>However I would be very surprised if police who came across the scene would arrest the purchaser of a bag, I think they'd be more interested in the vendor.<BR><BR>As long as you are negotiating a good price, 5 - 10 Euros, I think quality is a bit of a moot point. If the quality looks good enough to use for a few months and enjoy, then it sounds good to me. I wouldn't expect anything of that price range to last for ever and I know one can get the price that low, so I wouldn't pay more than that.<BR><BR>I didn't get one in the end because I couldn't decide on colour and never got round to it.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 04:31 AM
susan

Maybe we're talking about two different things here. The ones I saw the vendors selling from the tarps or sheets looked like cheap junk -- very plastic. Just go to your local Walmart and buy a $5.00 bag that will be much better quality.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Jess

Sorry, I don't know about the bags being for sale in Italy, but they definitely are in New York. I have a couple, and they are quite nice(realy leather, good zipper). If you like them and the quality is good, buy away. What's in a name anyway? A rose by any other name...

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Ted

You had better check out the Customs web site for the country you will be taking them into. In the US, knock-off or counterfeit items are subject to seizure, including fake Rolexs, CD's, clothes, and especially handbags. And don't think you are going to fool the coustoms agent, cuz they have seen and heard it all.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Kavey

Many were very plasticy looking but for some styles that actually looked very good and some bags looked better than others anyway. I am thinking of the baby blue squarish ones in particular which looked great in the plasticu cheaper material, looked the same as the material used in many regular UK high street chains which put a higher mark up on their goods and still sell for maybe &pound;30UK. <BR>It's easy enough to see if the bags look too plasticy when you are examining them and select designs which work best as copies. Some do, some don't.<BR>And sometimes, even if they are the same as what you can find in Walmart, there is that real pleasure you get from walking around carrying your things in a bag that reminds you of a wonderful holiday.<BR>I don't personally like to spend huge wads on high quality bags since I get bored of the design and colours anyway and like to be able to chop and change.<BR>To each their own.<BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Phyllis Pearsall

I gotta tell you - has anyone seen some of the cheap crap being put out by the 'real brand name'?? at the same old 'quality' prices?<BR><BR>a few years ago I saw that Coach was starting to put out canvas bags, tipped in leather - for the same prices as their leather bags. Since then I've noticed a LOT of Coach products in bargain bins. (yes, not even behind glass or hung & locked)<BR><BR>I've seen some "brand" makers put out obviously plastic bags and throw a 90+ price tag on them. or more. I can't say I feel completely sorry for these companies when someone appropriates their name on inferior (or not) products and sells them for 5-10 bucks. (legality issues aside).<BR><BR>PP<BR><BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:29 AM
shopper

Kavey, you went right to the point. 'To each their own'.<BR>I can afford to travel, since it's my dream and pleasure, but I can't afford buying expensive handbags that change each season. Moreover, if they are cheap, I can bring it as a gift (not everyone would like to receive a mini gondola or a small Tour Eiffel). And the ones that I have are really good, they look perfect. Twice I was asked where I bought my Louis Vuitton. The person assumed that it was a real LV.<BR>I'm just saying this to explain that sometimes you can find good deals and good quality.<BR>If I had paid the price of two legal handbags (let's say Fendi and LV) I would have to cut places and fun of my trips. And in the end, trips are always more important.<BR>Anyway, thank you all for your comments.<BR>Since I will be in Venice in June, I'll take a look on the streets (that are always beautiful, BTW).<BR><BR>Shopper<BR><BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Stupid

Philis your comment is so stupid. Just because something isn't leather doesn't make it inferior or of bad quality.<BR><BR>I have a canvas travel bag from the old abercrobie and fitch in New York. It is 25 years ago and in very good condition.<BR><BR>You don't know what your talking about Philis.<BR><BR>RN

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:56 AM
cherry

Yup they are still being sold they way you described it. It was fun watching them when I was there with my husband earlier this month. Did you know that they have someone to watch out for the police so that they would have time to stuff everything in black oversized bags and run. I was having dinner outdoors at that time, and boy where they quick!! In a matter of seconds, they disappeared into the dark alleys, only to return and resume business when the coast was clear. i had the feeling that the police patrol deliberately ignored to look towards the left where the salesmen were and went down the street whistling and swinging. several times i was tempted to have a look at those knock-offs but i kept reminding myself that I shouldn't mess with the law so i had to forget about that cute little fake prada bag...

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Phyllis Pearsall

hey, "Stupid RN" - did you pay 250 dollars for your canvas Abercrombie and Fitch? just curious. let's compare apples to apples m'dear.<BR><BR>I am surprised you were able to spell stupid, actually. you got nearly everything else wrong.<BR><BR>;-)

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:19 AM
surprised

I'm surprised at Kavey! It's really rude to bargain for something, arrive at a price, and then not buy!<BR><BR>Shame on you!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:31 AM
xxx

They are everywhere...you can not walk down the main drag outside the Doge's palace without seeing dozens of them. Didn't really look, but quality looked pretty good to me

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Kavey

What rot!<BR>Entering into a discussion on bargaining is certainly not a commitment to buying, it's an expression of interest in the price, nothing more.<BR>And actually, it came about because I paused to look at a bag I liked. He offered a price to which I countered that I wasn't really looking and the prices they were offering (I had overheard them) were way too high anyway. Within 30 seconds he had dropped to 10 Euros, at which point I said there was no point continuing since I really wasn't sure and was therefore not going to buy today.<BR>Discussing a price in a situation when prices are not fixed is part of the act of looking and considering a purchase and it is certainly not rude to make the decision not to buy.<BR>Kavey

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Kavey

That should read<BR><BR>"Entering into a discussion on price, or bargaining, is certainly not..."<BR><BR><BR>Kavey (Typo Queen)

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Henry

Growing up we had neighbors who would fit any empty "brand name" tissue box, e.g. Kleenex, over the cheaper store brand box.I don't know if this said more about their wierdness or the low opinion they had of visitors who they assumed would be impressed by brand name facial tissues.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:44 AM
kavey

Henry<BR>You made me laugh out loud!!<BR>Thank you!<BR>I have seen those permanent tissue box hiders, the idea being they match the decor of the room, and are made of plastic or wood or covered in material, and slip over the cardboard tissue box, but I have never come across using one cardboard tissue boxes to disguise another!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -