Search

Easyjet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easyjet

Hi All! I've never flown easyjet before and will be doing so next week flying to/from Paris to Italy (originally I'm from the USA). I did not pay for a checked bag from Orly to Venice but did pay for a checked bag from Milan to Paris. For doing a carry on, does this mean my purse needs to fit inside of my carry on as well as my neck pillow, etc? Nothing can go under the seat unless you're a member? Thanks all! I know they're strict on their measurements so I'm doing a dry pack run today to ensure I'd make the measurements!
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Can you read the instructions? They are very clear. Yes, your purse counts as a carryon item so you have to put it inside the other one if you have another one. What does going under the seat have to do with it, you are allowed one carryon regardless of where you put it. Sure, you are allowed to put it under the seat, I have, or you may put it in the overhead bin. You seem to be implying that anything put under your seat doesn't count, but that is not true on Easyjet or any other airline.

If you read their baggage allowance it very clearly states that you are allowed one carryon, it gives the size, and talks about it going in the bins. But it also clearly says right under that that if it is small enough, sure, you can put it under your seat. The issue they are addressing is those that pay for the extras are allowed two, but one must be able to fit under the seat.

As for your neck pillow, but you could always just wear it around your neck, most people do. Otherwise, I think it would be allowed as they do allow some other "accessories" such as umbrellas.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:20 AM

I have seen a hostess bugger an old lady because she had a purse and a book in her hands : 2 items.
Expect the worse some hostesses are real mean.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
One means one. Make it work however you can but one means ONE.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:25 AM

I've seen people trying to smuggle a backpack under a coat. Doesn't work. One item unless you pay for more. They mean it.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 12:45 PM

For more information on Ryanair and that ilk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL. "That ilk" can save you a lot of money. I wish all the others were of the same "ilk" sometimes.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 03:08 PM

I haven't flown easyJet for years, but when I did, they were pretty strict about bags - including the weight of checked bags (they are - or were - much stricter than other airlines about maximum weight of checked bags). The last time I flew with them, I had heavy bags and had to weigh my checked bag carefully to make sure it wasn't overweight.

I've considered flying easyJet in the years since and whenever I do, I always factor in additional costs beyond the airfare when comparing them to "conventional" airlines like Air France, which isn't quite as picky, just to account for extra bag fees and other "budget airline fees" I'm likely to have to pay for. I'd have to save a lot of money or convenience with easyJet or Ryan Air vs. Air France etc. to make it worth while.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 03:27 PM

We have used EasyJet several times with no issues. Last time, my wife's carry on was too big, but they didn't care and let us bring it on and stuff it in the overhead; maybe because we had purchased one bag for the hold anyway and also for seat selection they figured we had paid enough. It worked out, but I wonuldn't want to chance it again.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:55 PM

'they figured we had paid enough' - I don't think that is a consideration that ever crosses the mind of anyone in the airline industry.

You just got lucky with the gate attendant, and perhaps the flight was not full. We book seats in advance, but had to give up our regulation sized carry-on regardless of that, on Easyjet. It helps if you have speedy boarding, because you have a better chance of finding room in the overhead locker.

But Easyjet is usually so much cheaper than Brussels Airlines from Brussel, that we will still book Easyjet. Service is good, they have fairly new aircraft, and are usually on time.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 12:31 AM

I've seen women in tears, begging the gate attendant at Easyjet to let them take their purse/camera/whatever - NOT allowed unless they can stuff it into their one allowed carry on bag.
No amount of smiles, cajoling or crying seems to have any effect at all.

I like this ruling; you get on board, everyone has their carry on bag directly in the space above their seat - no delays caused by people and hosties trying to stuff bags in willy-nilly. Fastest loading / unloading of passengers I've come across.

Works for me! Di
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 05:07 AM

There's a simple solution: bring a large enough plastic bag with you. Before boarding, you put all of your stuffs into the plastic bag and make sure that it doesn't exceed the require dimension. Out of boarding time, do what you want but make sure to not bother other passengers by your luggage. I always have a spare plastic bag like that inside my pack but I rarely have to use it.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:59 PM

So, Furyfluffy - you have a backpack + plastic bag then - that's 2 items, and not allowed. They will make you check your plastic bag or your backpack.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 03:20 AM

Tulips: I put my small backpack + any 2nd accessory inside the plastic bag and close it, that makes 1 item ^^
Out of boarding time, I put the plastic bag inside my backpack.

I'm basically just saying what others said above: as long as you put all your items into 1 bag, it counts as 1.

Something like this:
http://www.perkalgifts.co.za/images/...gs-noprice.jpg
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 03:53 AM

For £13.99 you can bring a carry on bag PLUS a "personal item" AND you get an 'upfront' seat assignment. The cabin baggage size must be 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels or less but there is no weight limit. This is MORE generous than almost all other carriers. The only reason to check a bag would be if it was larger (that costs £19.99). All this is on their website. The last few years I have done this and it works great - it essentially includes your bag, your seat assignment and speedy boarding. Plus since you board first the overhead bins aren't yet full so you don't have to worry about 'gate checking' the bag (which can occur on all airlines if you board once the overheads are full).

The easyjet staff are not any nastier than any other airline.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Flying out of Manchester in January with a punch of Sicilians ESJ had set aside an area so "customers" could try and ram all their extra stuff into their single bag. Ladies in tears, no excuses, one bag means one bag.

Unless you pay extra for two bags.

speedy bording is a waste of money. Normally it means you get past one queue only to be back in the herd at the second queue. If it comes for free then fine, but as an asset it is like a chocolate teapot.