Search

Trivial Airplane Etiquette Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trivial Airplane Etiquette Question

Hello all,

First of all, this is admittedly a trivial and possibly stupid travel question. However, hope springs eternal that you experienced travelers out there could settle a debate.

I have a very good friend who travels on airplanes about 2 or 3 times per year. I consider her a nice person who is highly educated (PhD) and generally socially adept.

Recently, however, we traveled together on a plane, and I was taken aback by something that she did. After chewing several pieces of chewing gum (the new gum w/o any wrappers) during the flight, she would "dispose" of the chewed up piece by putting it into the "barf bag" in the seat pocket in front of her, and then she would put the bag back in the seat pocket.

I "called her" on this behavior, and she stated that she believed that this did not constitute a breech of etiquette because she believed and/or expected that the cleaning crew would discover the gum and throw the bag away, replacing it with a brand new one for the next passenger. My position was (and still is) that we can barely expect the cleaning crew to clean and replace obvious things (e.g. pillows and blankets), much less something like that.

We decided to let this board decide whether this behavior is permissible or not. I know that in the big scheme of things this is miniscule, however, we would love to know what your thoughts are.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Lola

I believe those small paper bags are there for discarding things, other than vomit.
Where would you suggest she throw her gum?

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Lola

sorry-Not "other" than vomit but not only vomit.
Ugh.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:02 PM
GoTravel

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that the cleaning crew, which would be the FAs between flights, are going to go digging through seat back pockets checking barf bags to see what is in them.

If your freind leaves the barf bag on the seat, they would probably throw it away.

At least ask her not to put the barf bag in the seat back pocket. Can you imagine the poor sick person opening the barf bag and seeing a wad of chewed gum?

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:03 PM
GoTravel

Meant to say, the cleaning crew is NOT going to check the barf bags in the seat back pocket.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:05 PM

I would have to say that you are both correct. If she was to use the bag for something other than vomit she should make it obvious that it has been used so that the cleaning folks could see it and take care of it. I'm sure they don't check every bag especially if it looks as if it has not been touched.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:53 PM

Why not just take the bag off the plane with you and dispose of it in a trash can? That way it's not left to a cleaning crew to try and find it, and seems to be a reasonable and responsible thing to do. I chew a lot of gum and never expect someone else to clean it up after me.
Maybe it's me, but I was always told to leave things in the same or better condition than I found them.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:58 PM

I agree with theladyjess.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:25 PM

I agree, make the bag noticeable for cleanup or take it with you.
Another question: Who actually reclines their seats back when riding in coach? You must know that it puts you in the lap of the person behind you. I just had this happen AGAIN, it gives me about 2" of leg room and I spend the rest of the flight thinking evil thoughts about the person and curbing the desire to kick the hell out of the back of their seat.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:43 AM

No, the worst example lack of concern for others is when someone sprays perfume in a closed cabin. We came back from Europe (1st class) and this woman continued to spray herself w/ this perfume - it stunk up the entire cabin. I've heard of spraying yourself w/ evian water to rivive your skintone - but to have no regard for fellow passengers (especially those w/ allergies or motion sickness) was very irritating!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:38 AM

The bag can be used for more than vomit. But, she should have the courtesy to throw out the bag when the flight attendants come around collecting trash, which they usually do about 20 minutes before landing (at least on Continental.)

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:26 AM

The seats recline for a reason. If you don't like it, complain to the airline not to the person in front of you.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:37 AM

If she thinks it's OK to use the barf bag and return it to its original place without disposing of it propersly, I have to ask: What's her approach to toilet paper in a public restroom?
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:49 AM

Does your friend leave her popcorn box and soda container on the floor next to her seat after the movie's over because she knows the cleaning crew will come in and "take it away"? (Just asking.)
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:49 AM
GoTravel

I am very tall and unless a small child is sitting behind me, I will not recline my seat. I think it is very rude. I have asked the person in front of me to pull their seat up and have never had a problem.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Jack,

That's an excellent analogy! I don't know whether she does or not, but as someone who worked at a movie theatre while in college, I was amazed that so many people would just leave it there to be thrown away by the ushers.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Jed

Why ruin a barf bag for a small piece of gum? Put it in a tissue, then dispose of it in the bathroom or in a waste basket at the airport.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:48 AM

I fully recline my seat for the duration of my flight. It helps me relax, seems to take some pressure off of my back. Frankly, I find nothing rude about it, I paid for the seat, the seat reclines, and if the fella behind me doesn't like it then too bad.

I really don't see what the big deal is about it. When the person in front of me reclines I have no problem eating my food on the tray, working on my laptop, etc.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:53 AM

I put my seat back throughout the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -