Easter weekend in Italy

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Stephanie

Easter weekend in Italy

I am planning to be in Venice Easter weekend (Saturday, Sunday and Monday). Has anyone ever been there during that holiday? I was just wondering what I could expect to be able to do and of what I may need to be aware. If I had it to plan over again, I probably wouldn't have scheduled to be there at that time, but I wanted to spend my next birthday in Venice (it's the day before Easter this year). Any insights?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Barbara

We did this a few years ago and it turned out to be a lovely time to be in Venice. Weather permitting, enjoy the evening concerts in St. Mark's Square. It is magical. Buon viaggio!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:06 AM
kavey

We were there for Easter in 2002. We found Easter Sunday and Monday the busiest and these were the last 2 days of 6 for us.<BR><BR>What I would suggest is that you visit anything in St Mark's area (Basilica, Doge's Palace, Campanile) and also the Rialto area on the Saturday and leave Sunday and Monday for less busy areas - we spent those days walking around the quieter areas and ran into few people at all even though St Mark's was heaving.<BR><BR>Regarding Rialto - we enjoyed the market but thought the bridge and immediate area were tacky - we enjoyed the bridge most from the canal below (on vaporetto) not from on the bridge itself.<BR><BR>In terms of restaurants we did find it busier from Sat night onwards and so when we were returning to the hotel for our afternoon siesta we'd choose a restaurant and pop in to reserve a table for the evening.<BR><BR>You could find somewhere without doing this but it might take a little longer.<BR><BR>That said I don't know if it will be quite as busy this year as last as I understand American visitor numbers to Europe are still down in general.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Alice Twain

kavey<BR><BR>Much of the crowd on suday and Monday will be coposed of Italians (please, do not forget that we are tourists too, beside being &quot;touristed&quot;!) on daytrip to venice from neighboring areas or on a week-end. Besides, Italian bad year in economy caused an increase of inner tourism over the abroad travels, so that many Italians chose and will choose to spend their Christmas and Easter holidays in Italy.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Stephanie

Thanks to everyone for responding. It sounds like there will be more to do than I expected! I can't wait...

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:48 AM
jj

I was in Italy last Easter (Florence) and noticed a huge number of German tourists as well as Italian tourists.