Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easter weekend- better off in Dublin or SW?

Dec 8th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Hello! In the VERY early research stages for a possible April trip to Ireland, I am hoping that someone can answer a general question. The start of our trip will coincide with Easter weekend (arriving in Ireland on Good Friday), and we're not sure where to spend it.

We will likely spend 3 days in Dublin and the rest touring the West/SW portions of Ireland, but can do this in any order. I'm wondering about places being open over Easter weekend, particularly restaurants and pubs. And of course, in Dublin, we're concerned that we will miss many of the main attractions if places are closed.

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!
Dec 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
lawchick

Everything will be closed on Good Friday - in Dublin and in the country - most restaurants are even closed....all bars...all museums etc.

There are benefits to staying in Dublin over Easter as it is very quiet as many locals go down the country.

In any event, if you want to book a hotel, you should do it now, particularly in the touristy spots in the country, as they get booked up quite fast for holiday periods.

Dec 8th, 2005, 11:21 AM
CU

All the stores are now open over the easter. the only places that must close by law are the pubs on Good Friday.
There are talks on at the minute about a parade in Dublin on Easter Sunday. Should be good if it goes ahead.
www.goireland.ie
www.visitdublin.com
Keep in touch. You might catch a good game of hurling.
Dec 9th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear we won't starve over the weekend I know there will be plenty to do just in terms of walking around and taking the scenery, so as long as we can find something to eat I think we'll be fine in Dublin.
Dec 9th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Get yourself a B & B in Kinsale, Kenmare, Valentia Island or some other pleasant town in the sunny southwest of Ireland.
Dec 9th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Hmm...well that was my first thought, especially since it seems it might be easier to fly out of Dublin back to NYC. But I'm concerned that in smaller towns, restaurants, etc. will be closed on Friday, Sunday and Monday.

Ideally, we'd like to spend 2 nights in the SW, 1 night in the SE, and 3 nights in Dublin (1 more night is flexible).

Can anyone offer any guidance? Specific suggestions of any SW towns that might be better to stay in over this time would be welcome as well.

Thank you!
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I enjoyed Doolin, County Clare. It's within striking distance of the Burrens and the Cliffs of Moher. The traditional Irish music played by the amateur folk musicians in the pubs of Doolin is fun.
Dec 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I was in Ireland over the Easter weekend a few years ago. I know that in Limerick and Cork - everything was closed on Good Friday. (We shopped early for wine and declared it a girls night in!). We had Easter dinner at Man Friday's in Kinsale - it was fantastic - you definitely need to make reservations, though - but I'm not sure how far in advance.
Dec 12th, 2005, 01:19 AM

The shops may be open on Good Friday for a swhile but you will find it hard to find a restaurant open at all. Book a hotel so you will get a meal or can bring some things in and store in a mini fridge the night before. I feel like most places are a ghost town on good friday and most people have parties that night as the pub is closed.
Dec 12th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. It is invaluable!

celticdreams, in Limerick and Cork on Good Friday, what did you do for food? Our plane will be arriving that morning, so I'm trying to determine where we should stay so that we can buy something to eat! I know it may sound ridiculous, but if all shops and restaurants are closed I'm not sure what our options are.

We could consider arriving in Ireland on Saturday, but I hate to lose a day there if I can avoid it!
Dec 12th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Dear Tarheel, I arrived in Shannon on Good Friday in 2000 and had booked my rooms at Fitzpatrick Bunratty Hotel. We had no problems getting food in the hotel. I stayed again in this hotel in 2003 and the rooms were not that great. The food was still very good. If I were you, I'd get a hotel in Bunratty, Ennis or one of the smaller nearby villages, just make sure they will be serving meals. After Good Friday, everything seemed to get back to normal. You'll enjoy your trip, as spring time is wonderful in Ireland. Well, so is summer, winter, and fall.
Dec 12th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Sorry, didn't realize you were flying into Dublin.
Dec 12th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

chatham, thanks for the info. I can actually fly into either airport- flights are not yet booked. We would prefer to fly into Shannon and out of Dublin, so this information is all very helpful.

Thank you!
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Dear Tarheel, I'll tell you the places I've stayed around Shannon that serve meals. Bunratty: whatever the name of Fitzpatrick is now and haven't stayed but have eaten at Bunratty Castle Hotel. Ennis: Temple Gate and have heard Old Ground is very nice. Near the airport is a great old manor house with lovely hosts and Mr. Ennis is a chef. It is Carrygerry manor house New-Market-On-Fergus. About an hour from the airport(very doable without sleep) Sheedy's Country House Hotel has some of the best food I've eaten in Ireland. The hotel is in Lisdoonvarna. Also in Lisdoonvarna I've stayed at Carrigann Hotel and they serve food and are a lovely family as is the family at Sheedy's. Another in Lisdoon. is a b&b with Pub and has nice rooms. Kincora House. Also I've stayed in Spanish Point and Killaloe. If you would like phone numbers and e-mail addresses let me know. I have a real soft spot for County Clare.
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Tarheel - I have to admit I was staying with friends, so food was a non-issue... (although, perhaps it would have been good if we'd actually eaten some of it while we were consuming those many bottles of wine!)
Dec 12th, 2005, 10:55 AM
CU

Bars are closed on Good friday, The stores are open and many places to eat are also open. The banks and financial institutions are also closed.
Some places close at 3 p.m. for the Good Friday Devotions and usually the night is quiet but everything comes to life on Saturday and Easter Sunday is a good day.
Don'nt worry about eating. There's always McDonalds. You will have no problem in Dublin. www.visitdublin.com
and www.goireland.ie
Dec 13th, 2005, 01:01 AM

A supermarket may be open and the small convenience stores like Spar and Centra will be open. SDunnes stores is a department store that usually has a supermarket attached. In the cities I doubt they close at three as devotions etc are not common anymore at least not with us younger ones. If you are in a residential area at night there will be parties in many houses.

Dec 13th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for setting my mind at ease. We will try to stick to a larger town on Good Friday to be safe- chatham, thank you for the hotel recs.

Any more suggestions or experiences about Easter Weekend would be wonderful! Thank you.