Traveling with a one year old??

Dec 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM
BLN
Original Poster

Traveling with a one year old??

Please, please tell me what you think if you have experience in this regard... --

My husband & I would like to take our only child with us to Rome. She'll be about 13 months when we go next spring. We'd spend a week or 10 days and probably rent an apartment. We've done this before (just the two of us) and it was so great, we want to do it again. But now we have this appendage. Since we've been there three times it's not like we have to pack in a lot of sightseeing, just general relaxation, people-watching, and lots of eating.

I'm curious about jetlag, sleeping arrangements for the baby (crib vs pack & play), getting around (sling vs stroller), going out for dinner (when restaurants open after baby's bedtime!), and everything else we're not considering.

Thanks so much!
Dec 11th, 2005, 05:03 PM

BLN,

I posted a similar msg 2 years ago the first time I flew with my little one. Here is a link to the thread. I got lots of good advice--I think it should help.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Dec 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Sorry, let's see if this one works.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34428261
Dec 11th, 2005, 05:07 PM

This is a more recent thread on the subject.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34708143
Dec 11th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Take a stroller. An average one year old is ROUGHLY 3x their birth weight so lets assume around 21-27lbs. That will feel bleedin' heavy after an hour or so, even in a back-pack type carrier. And a baby of that age won't really be able to take a turn at walking to give you a rest. Also, you can carry nappies etc on the stroller instead of having to lump a bag round with you.
Certainly don't try it with a sling. If you must carry her, get a back-pack style.
Dec 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Try to check on the availability of diapers. Times have changed, but when we went to France with a ten month old a long time ago, everyone thought that we were crazy to bring all the disposable diapers from the States. In those days, only pharmacies sold them in France, at outrageous prices, and poor in coverage. We simply stuffed a duffel bag full of diapers. When our French friends had their baby a year later, they revised their opinion about bringing diapers from the States.

Dec 12th, 2005, 05:57 PM
BLN
Original Poster

Thanks so much! StephCar - I found one of those threads but not the other, I appreciate you sending it along.
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:09 AM

BLN-

I took my daughter to Ireland in may at 11 months and just took roughly 5 diapers a day. I had 52 in her suitcase and carried some in her diaper bag. She came home wearing a swimmer since I used the last 2 diapers on the flight home.

We took our big stroller which actually worked well since we had a mini van. We will take an umbrella stroller to Rome this may when she is 23 months old. ...Good luck.
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:55 AM

BLN, Happy to help! I know how stressful it can be to take your kids on long flights. In my experience however, the stress is more in the planning/thinking about it. The actual act of it is not as bad. She will do great!

Regarding the pack and play issue...I have done both. The first time I did not bring it and wished I had. The second time I did bring it and wished I didn't. I guess it is luck of the draw, but most places nowadays seem to have pack and plays for cots available when you check in. And def. an umbrella type stroller is a must for those small and uneven streets in Rome.
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:09 AM

What do you want to accomplish in Rome? I would never take my two daughters to Rome (ages 2 and 3). We went alone this past May and were able to take great tours to all of the historic sites. They would have lasted like 10 minutes at each site...just not somewhere for children in my opinion. Tuscany, on the other hand, is great for children. We took them there for a week and had a great time. We've always been able to request baby "cots" and have never taken our pack n play on the road. We, too, prefer to stay in apartments when traveling with our girls and often we cook at home instead of fighting with them eating out. We always take our own stroller and the baby's favorite comforts - favorite snack foods, blankie, etc.
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:18 AM

My daughter's first European excursion was at about 11 months. I'd suggest you book a flight as late in the day as possible so that the flying time coincides with the baby's sleeping time. If the baby's asleep, you'll be able to relax and sleep too. Speak with your physician regarding a dose of kiddie Benedryl before flying. It is great for opening up the baby's sinus passages to decrease discomfort due to air pressure changes. We flew Air France, I'm not sure what other airlines' accomodations are for infants but they should put you in a seat where a sleeping cradle can be hung. (They provide the cradle) It is much better than having her sleep on the seat, unless you are planning to bring a FDA approved carseat. The cradle was snug for the baby, but at that age they don't seem to mind. My daughter slept like a log the entire way. I would also suggest that you bring a collapsible, folding stroller. It was invaluable for us. Trust me, the sling alone is not adequate. These strollers are nice and lightweight, the airlines are used to dealing with them. They will be very convenient for zipping around the airport, going on walks, sitting in when there are not other appropriate places for a kid to sit. Also, my kid slept in her stroller in many a restaurant all over the world. I'd recommend bringing a couple of hand towels to turn into quick little pillows or for cushioning the tushy. I have seen those convertible carseat/stroller things which also look great. It's basically a carseat on wheels. The wheels and push handle can retract so that it can function as just a carseat. Wish I'd seen them when my daughter was small, now she's too big. As for sleeping arrangements, unfortunately, my kid got used to sleeping with us. Dependent upon where you stay, you can improvize. I personally could never imagine myself lugging a crib or even pack & play along. But given the choice, I'd have to say the pack & play sounds more versatile, wouldn't you say?
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Do take a stroller. It will be easier for the baby to sleep, and then you wíll not have to go back to the hotel for nap time. My kids always slept well in a stroller.
Check with the people that you are renting the appartment from if they have a crib. I think they probably will be able to provide one.
You know your child best, but our eldest was happy to be taken to restaurants at that age, just sitting in a high chair or in her stroller. Italians like children. If you don't go to very upmarket places, it will be fine. And with jet lag baby will probably be awake in the evening anyway.

You have been to Rome before, so just adjust your pace to take into account the baby; I'm sure you will be fine.

And just buy diapers and baby food there. Italians have babies too.
Dec 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM
lawchick

Don't worry, we have disposable diapers in Europe now. In Italy and Ireland and France even.

In Ireland they are called nappies.

Dec 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM

I am taking a similar trip with a two year old and a 6 month old. I had lots of people give good travel advice. It is under "Travel with Little Ones" if you want to check it out. WAY HELPFUL! Have a great time.