Search

East Germany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East Germany

We will be taking an Elbe River cruise in Oct. through the former East Germany starting in Magdeburg and stopping in Wittenberg, Meissen, Dresden, and other towns along the River. Has anyone traveled to East Germany recently and have there been any dramatic changes in the past few years that are worth noting?
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:44 PM
J62

What do you mean in the last few years? If you mean the 20 since the unification of Germany then absolutely yes. Dresden, for one, has witnessed a remarkable transformation, culminating in the rebuilding of the Frauenkirche which was destroyed during WW2 (according to a sign that used to hang on the Zwinger during the "savage attack by the Anglo-American imperialists on the innocent people of Dresden")

Outside the major cities much of the former East Germany is still depressed, and the influx of money into the East has caused many hard feelings between Ossies and Wessies.

An Elbe cruise sounds like a great idea. Enjoy!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM

I was in Berlin in November, the former East side more than West. It is amazing to walk from East to West, still.

The new Jewish history museum is particularly interesting and very well done, to my mind. The ending, the Holocaust portion is very effective.

It's also really interesting to talk to former Easterners, as the old buildings and landmarks are disappearing very rapidly now. They feel their home is being destroyed. Even though some of those were symbols of repression, they were still "home."
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Your cruise sounds interesting. Which line is it on? How long does it take? All I can find are 7-day cruises from Potsdam to Prague and return to Dresden. Since I have been to Prague and Dresden, I am more interested in the places north on the Elbe.

We have been to Dresden twice, before the Fauenkirche was rebuilt, and loved it. There is a marvellous DVD from the opening concert in the rebuilt Frauenkirche, with pix of what it looked like after the destruction. The concert Is Bethoven's Missa Solemnis, a truly moving experience.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM

I live in East Germany (Dresden). I am puzzled. Changes in which regard? Almost everything has changed for residents and for tourists.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM

I've only been to Berlin and East Germany in the past couple of years. I too, loved the Jewish Museum and recommend it for a visit.
We had a great time in Thuringen in 2007. We knew almost immediately when we left West Germany on the Autobahn. The road turned a little rougher, not much but more like a freeway here in the States.
Also, in Eastern Germany we found that the buildings were intact but decaying from the Communist neglect.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM

I was in Dresden in 1991. The Fauenkirche was more or less a heap with a large tree growing in the middle. I returned 3 years ago, after the reconstruction. What I recall most is that the tram system in Dresden is now probably the best in Europe.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Let me clarify. I meant changes in the last year or so, not changes since 1989. Ingo, I can't wait to visit your city (Dresden) being a classical music lover! Spaarne's information about the tram system in Dresden is precisely the type of new information I am looking for Thanks.