Search

Western Germany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Western Germany

I'd like to know about Berlin and Dresden.
We are thinking of going to Prague, berlin and dresden on a package the middle of September. I've been to Prague and loved it but I am uncertain about the other cities. I've always pictured Germany as being beautiful, quaint and very European and i don't think Berlin appears that way to me.
I know there is alot of history there and I
am interested in that but would someone tell me if these places in Germany are really worth it.. natjgc
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:13 PM
ira

Hi nat,

Starting a new thread to correct an old one as you did won't help.

Repost this with the title "Berlin and Dresden", or equivalent.

>I've always pictured Germany as being beautiful, quaint and very European and i don't think Berlin appears that way to me.<

Berlin is not "quaint". It has been nearly totally rebuilt since 1945.

It is one of the great cities of Europe.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM

Hey Ira, Hope you see this. What happened to your pal Patrick? He didn't die or anything, did he? I posted a similar question on here about central Europe. You have a pretty good grasp of the cities, per your posts. Could you open up a little an articulate more then "Berlin's a Great city." She was just thinking of the pictures with the castles of Germany. I picture it alot like any large European city, except having more Nazi history available then say, London.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM

Western Germany doesn't equal Berlin and Dresden
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM

With any luck the floods in Dresden may have subsided by September.

Berlin is without doubt one of the great cities of the world, but lost a great deal of its particular frisson at reunification.

Dresden has its places of interest but did not gain anything from having its centre bombed out of existence by the Brits in 1945. If you are into nice scenery then the region due south of Dresden known as Saxon Switzerland is worth a few days. l like Königstein with its fortress, and the unusual geological formations (I believe they are called 'isolani' or similar) in the surrounding State park.

Harzer

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Hi
I was in Berlin and Dresden last sept. Berlin is one of the great cities of Europe. i realize people say it's not the same since reunification. I knew someone who visited before and she said it was ugly, grey, boring etc and she was an artist, photographer.
Berlin has to be experienced, with all the horror of the Nazis, political division over the years and its current rebirth, it has to be seen before all of the city is completely changed. Dresden was worth visiting for its museums etc. and its history. If we were to consider that it was rebuilt we probably wouldn't visit Nuremburg or many of the other cities bombed during WW 2. They are worth visiting. Think of Potsdam also.