Search

Salzburg Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg Hotels

In October, my husband and I and another couple will be traveling by car through parts of Germany and Austria. We're looking for a hotel in Salzburg - somewhere in the Old Town. Will appreciate your suggestions!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM

We like the Goldenen Ente "Golden Duck" (a 600 year old building, but the linins are newer than that) and the Weisses Kreuz "White Cross" at the base of the hill the fortress sits on..

The GE has parking in the cave about 5-10 minutes way for an extra few Euros. WK has parking available in front of the hotel in the altstadt a block from the cathedral.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I really liked the 3* Hotel Elefant which is right in the central pedestrian area. It was very nice, but charming, and convenient. I didn't drive so don't know about parking.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:05 PM

The "Golden Duck" is part of the Sheraton group, if I remember. I had a friend who stayed there since he couldn't get into the Sheraton. He was very happy with the Duck.

Blackduff
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I stayed at the Goldener Hirsch right on the main pedestrian street in the old town. I got a great deal on Travelocity, plus, they gave me a free upgrade when I arrived. The hotel and service were top notch.
A friend of mine has stayed at the Elefant a few times and has enjoyed it very much. It's right off the main street, around the block from the Goldener Hirsch.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Another rec for Goldene Ente. We stayed in their two bedroom apartment and really liked it. The restaurant downstairs is terribly friendly.

Another good place is the Blaue Gans. It's a modern, design hotel also in the center of the old town. We had NYEve dinner there and really liked the look of the place. Don't know what their parking arrangements are.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM
JN

We've stayed at and enjoyed both the Blaue Gans and Am Dom. The BG has raised prices over the last few years as they've become an "Art Hotel" and their good sized rooms (called Karajan) are around 135-150 Euro/Nt for a double with breakfast. Am Dom is still in the 100E range. While more modest, has a great location, terrific owner and some rooms that are actually two bedroom (411 or 412 was ours as i recall). To me, this might be worth a look: http://www.amdom.at/

Enjoy your trip. Salzburg is beautiful.