Reload this Page >

any info on dresden, germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 09:33 AM
sue ryan

i am looking to visit a friend in dresden, germany either early fall or late spring. i have never been to europe, let alone germany and have had a difficult time finding details on dresden. ( mostly what pops up covers berlin). any advice would be appreciated.

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 12:08 PM
Larry Weber

You will enjoy Dresden. It has a terrific art museum and a very large Cathedral ruin from WW2 that is under reconstruction. It is halfway between Berlin and Prague and there is great train service to each so you might want to consider a couple of side trips. The trip to prague goes through some particularly pre

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Jim

Just about everbodysays that Dresden is a dreary city and why woundn't it be so. It was one of the most beutiful cities in the world until it ws bombed out of existence for no military reason. The British have a lot of explaining to do for this fiasco.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 10:26 AM
jim

This is another Jim who couldn't disagree more with the prior Jim. Was the attack of Dresden warranted? No. Was it understandable? You betcha. Think of Rotterdam, Lidice, Oradour-sur-Glane, Coventry, the Ardeatine Caves, not to mention Auschwitz, Birkenau and other sites of Nazi (German?) horror. Unless you are a revisionist you realize that WWII was not started by the democracies, it was started by the rape of Poland (it really started with Czechoslovakia) by the Germans. In war, you sometimes reap the whirlwind as did Dresden in 1945. To Sue, Larry is right: still some war damage but great museums. Consider a day cruise on the Elbe on the paddle wheel steamers and don't miss Meissen.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Historian

<BR>The moral is: as long as you don't start a war, you can kill as many civilians as you like in revenge or for any other reason.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Carol C

I have been to Dresden several and always enjoyed the progress in restoration since reunification. There is a wonderful "Old Master"s Museum next to the "Zwinger" and an amazing armour museum (I am not fond of Armour), but it was so interesting. History in this city is huge, you will see a whole wall of Meissen porcellan that describes its history and the in progress restoration of the Marienkirche is amazing. By all means, go, it's only 2 hours by car from Berlin and trainservice is good. You can easily do it in one day because all the historical buildings and places are together in a easily walkable area. Hope you have a good visit. I am certainly planning to see Dresden again in a year or so to watch the progress

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Ben Haines

You will find useful notes on http://www.dresden-tourist.de/eng/homepage.html, especially undEr Information.<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 12:59 AM
nospam

Don't miss the Grunes Gewolbe, a decadent collection of jewelry from centuries passed. The level of detail on some of the pieces is incredible!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:13 AM
Julie

Dreseden is a beautiful city. Don't miss a guided tour of the Semper Oper. This website gives a brief overview in English:<BR>http://www.yourtravel-hq.com/dresden_cg.htm<BR><BR>This website is in German and English and shows some pictures of Dresden; just click on the arrows next to the pictures to do the virtual tour<BR>http://www.semperoper.de/servlet/RG1?ZUSTAND=01005000