Dumb Question on Faxing Reservations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I sound stupid asking this but I have never done anything (call or fax) to Europe. How the hex do I fax a confirmation to Italy? I have the number but when I put it in the fax I get a "you must first dial blah blah blah" and what does the + sign mean before the number? God, I sound like an idiot... please help!!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:41 AM

Sophie, if you are dialing from the US dial 011 then area code for Italy, then for the city and finally the number of the hotel.

+ means you need to include 011, then Italy area code , then the city area code. I had similar problem when faxing for the first time to France but some nice people here helped me out. Good luck
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:44 AM

And the Italy area code is:

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pat!!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Look at the AT&T site for info on dialing. I think now you have to leave the 0 off the city code.
rex

The plus is a fairly international symbol which means "whatever you need to dial to make an international call". As you might suppose, it varies from country to country. It is "011" in the United States (though you don't say for a fact what country you're calling from - - I'll just go out on a limb and assume, since people in other countries seem to know their international code better than Americans).

Tnen - - from any country, if you are not IN that country, you enter the country code - - 39, in the case of Italy. The number you have probably has the city code (analogous to the US "area code&quot, but it may have a leading zero. Omit that if it is listed that way.

Tell us what you have, and it will be easier to tell what to dial.

Best wishes,

Rex

Sophie -

If you look in the index of whatever guidebook(s) you're using for "telephones", this info should be there.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...064020016.html

"Telephone--To call Italy from the United States, dial the international prefix, 011; then Italy's country code, 39; and then the city code (for example, 06 for Rome and 055 for Florence), which is now built into every number. Then dial the actual phone number."

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

thank you both - I got the fax to work - this board is great!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:31 PM

You can also use your PC (connected via the internet) to send a fax overseas (or any where really). It is cheap and easy and you don't have to own a fax machine. It even tells you if the fax went through successfully, very easy to use. It comes with Windows.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:10 PM
ira

Hi Sophie,

Regarding the phone number: 011 gets you out of the US, 39 gets you to Italy. Some cities (Florence) require the 0 before the phone number. Others might not.

Include the 0 to start. If the call does not go through, drop the 0.

As tetrabit says, you can use your computer to send the Fax. That way you get a record of the transmission.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Re using your computer as a fax - you can only do that with dialup, right? I now have a cable connection so there is no phone attached to the computer. There are some services that you can access online that will do it for a nominal charge.
Mara
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:46 PM

Mara,
Yes. You can also use your cable modem. Basically, if you can connect to the internet, you can send a fax for free(well, you'll pay long distance). I think mine was like 3 cent to send a fax to Italy...whatever your long distance co. charges per minute rate to Italy will be your rate.
The fax software comes with Windows on your PC, click START, then PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, Send a fax. All you need to do is enter the fax number and type in what you want to fax and click ENTER or SUBMIT...and the fax will be sent. You can also receive a fax (have your own fax number) without owning a fax machine. I forgot what's its called (used to use it but now use my fax at work). Search on the internet for free fax and they will assign a fax number to you. You'll then link up (easy setup) your email account (can be Yahoo, AOL, etc) to your fax # and get your fax via email.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:35 PM

"All you need to do is enter the fax number and type in what you want to fax and click ENTER or SUBMIT..""

Does this mean you can only type in the message you want to fax, OR can you attach a file and fax that?
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:21 PM

I'm fairly certain that the zero stays in the numbers for dialing to Italy. Ditto that they are omitted for France. Everywhere is the hit or miss method for me!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:10 PM

I used to have a good home FAX software called WINFAX LITE (I think), but I have heard they don't make that any more.

IN any case, I do not have anything on my computer that says "send a FAX" in the accessories part of programs, and I have Windows. So it is not universal. I do have some program called "Megaphone" that can be opened and you can send a FAX but it is fairly primitive. I think you can only type in a message in the box (which is limited in length), you cannot add an attachment, and it does not retain any copy of what you sent. WINFAX Lite did all these things (I used to be able to send copies of WORD documents through it and it kept a log of all messages).

I don't send FAXes often enough that I've bothered trying to find better software, so I just you a regular FAX machine at work -- my boss doesn't mind me doing this occasionally and it's nice to have a FAX phone number for return FAXes, as well as copies of what you send.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:28 PM

This is what I found on my Windows XP:

Fax provides you with complete fax facilities from your computer. You can configure fax settings, send and receive faxes, track and monitor fax activity, and access archived faxes. Using Fax, you can choose to send and receive faxes with a local fax device attached to your computer, or with a remote fax device connected to fax resources located on a network.

A cable modem is not a local fax device.
Mara

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:45 AM

Mara, my understanding of a cable modem is not that great, but I think that you can set up your fax to your phone number (which is a local device). Your phone line is connected to the internet via cable modem (I have DSL). You can also use the PC fax if you have dial-up. Yes, you can receive fax also, but I haven't set it up on my PC.
For non-XP Windows, it may be called something else (I forgot) but it also has a fax software. Try searching for a program "fax" or something and see what's on your PC.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:58 PM

I am trying to phone Italy. I have the number, but I have been having trouble dialing. How do I dial it?

Raph
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
rex

What number do you have, Raph? And where are you calling from? And why dig up this post from two years ago, to piggyback your question on to its tail end?

I assume you have circumstances different from the many answers already provided on this thread.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM

Hi Raph, are you in the US? If so, dial 011 39 then the city code (what city in Italy are you trying to dial to?).
Then dial the actual phone number.
Now, the phone numbers I have for my friends for their home (land) phone do require a 0 before the city code. However, some (but not all) of the cell phone numbers I have for my friends do NOT have the 0 before the city code. What the difference is I do not know.

But in any case, try dialing with the 0 before the city code and if you cannot get through then wait a minute and redial without using the 0 before the city code.

Hope this helps.