Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dubrovnik? Old Town or Ploce? and tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st timer looking for advice, staying in Dubrovnik for four nights before flying home.

What is the better location to stay, inside old town walls or outside Ploce gate with a water view? Any suggestions?

Also looking for ideas on tours, would like to go to Montenegro or Mostar, not sure which is better? Also interested in advice on wine tours and island tours. I will be spending 5 days in Hvar/Korcula before Dubrovnik. Thanks you for your help
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 04:58 PM

we stayed just within walking distance of the old town at Hotel Bellevue-a fab place perfect for stro;;ing toaround Dubrovnik..
We had come from 2 nights in Mostar .had a driver bring us to Dubrovnik. Loved Mostar.as we didnt have a car we stayed on the edge of the old town of Mostar
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed for four nights right in the middle of the old town. Loved our time there. Our room looked out on to a cathedral, a small square and a restaurant so there was always something to look at. It was quiet in the early mornings and late afternoons but busy during the day with tourist groups. It's very atmospheric at night when it's quiet.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 03:33 AM

I rented an apartment with terrace in Ploce. The view was SPECTACULAR! I relished my morning coffee and evening glass of wine on my terrace looking down upon Dubrovnik, islands and out to sea. When I go back, I will rent in that area again. Highly recommended. I'm not a tour bus person but opted to do two day trips because I was solo and didn't know how driving would be. One trip was to Montenegro and the other to Mostar. Montenegro was beautiful. But, if you only have time for one I would suggest Mostar. While it's a longer day trip, It offers a very different and unique experience. The next time I visit the region I will rent a car and spend the night in Mostar. The roads are easy to navigate. You might want to consider renting a car for either of the two day trips you're considering.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dee_Dee
I rented an apartment with terrace in Ploce. The view was SPECTACULAR! I relished my morning coffee and evening glass of wine on my terrace looking down upon Dubrovnik, islands and out to sea. When I go back, I will rent in that area again. Highly recommended. I'm not a tour bus person but opted to do two day trips because I was solo and didn't know how driving would be. One trip was to Montenegro and the other to Mostar. Montenegro was beautiful. But, if you only have time for one I would suggest Mostar. While it's a longer day trip, It offers a very different and unique experience. The next time I visit the region I will rent a car and spend the night in Mostar. The roads are easy to navigate. You might want to consider renting a car for either of the two day trips you're considering.
Following this thread as we also hope to be in Dubrovnic end May/early spring 2022 and am undecided about where to stay. We usually prefer self catering to hotels, though not sure how easy it would be to find an apartment within the city walls. Dee_Dee, your apartment sounds fabulous, would you mind sharing the details? Thanks 😊
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 03:22 AM

geetika, unfortunately I don't remember the name of the apartment I rented nor the website I used to find it. The website was a local Dubrovnik site with lots and lots of apartments listed. Maybe it was through the TI office. Now I use VRBO to rent all my apartments in Europe. I haven't rented a bad apartment yet though I never rent an apartment without any reviews or with less than positive reviews. If you haven't used VRBO, you may want to give them a try.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dee_Dee
geetika, unfortunately I don't remember the name of the apartment I rented nor the website I used to find it. The website was a local Dubrovnik site with lots and lots of apartments listed. Maybe it was through the TI office. Now I use VRBO to rent all my apartments in Europe. I haven't rented a bad apartment yet though I never rent an apartment without any reviews or with less than positive reviews. If you haven't used VRBO, you may want to give them a try.
Thanks DeeDee. We have a basic idea of our dates and places we want to visit, need to flesh it out and make bookings, etc, hopefully later this year. I have successfully used both Airbnb and VRBO in the past, will also check with the TI and local sites.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at Apartments Amoret in the centre of the old town. They had about four or five different apartments. We had a tiny kitchenette, the rest of the room was fairly spacious. The restaurant Amoret was on the ground floor and owned by the same people I think. Location was great. This was a number of years ago but they may still exist.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 07:57 AM

I stayed in Dubrovnik many times and never in Old Town. It is overpriced and not best value for the money. I usually stay in some of many excellent hotels on Lapad. It is much more peaceful and there is a bus for center-old town every 15 minutes (line 6 Babin Kuk-Pile). Here is a film about Dubrovnik the best one I could find.
As for Montenegro/Mostar dilemma I would definitely choose Mostar. Although there are many nice small places in Montenegro and it is closer, Mostar has much more to offer and even more its surroundings (Blagaj, Kravice waterfall etc). You can see about Mostar in this film (detailed guide in description).
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tagging along with this question. We're actually taking a tour (I know, shocker!) that ends in Dubrovnik, 3 nights in Lapad at the Dubrovnik Palace Hotel. However, the tour ends on a Friday in June, and direct flights on AF don't depart on Friday, only Saturday. So the question is, add one more night's stay at DPH or transfer to a hotel in Old Town?

And where to day trip that Friday? I'm thinking the blue cave tour might be pretty amazing!

(Sorry to hijack!).